• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

AASA Vision: E-Tailing Beyond The Pandemic

Photo caption: Eric Lough, VP, business development, FCP Euro (left) and Brent Berman, vice president, repair products, First Brands Group.

By now we’re all well-aware of how the pandemic turbocharged the adoption of online shopping.

According to the Auto Care Association and the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), e-commerce adoption in the automotive aftermarket grew from 6.5% in 2018 to 12.1% in 2021, representing a nearly 100% increase.

At the AASA Vision Conference in Dearborn, Michigan, a panel was set to debate whether the level of pandemic-induced e-commerce growth is sustainable in the future.

As it turns out, there wasn’t much of a debate.

“We’ve set an expectation during the pandemic with e-commerce that I don’t think we go back from there,” asserted Eric Lough, VP, business development, for FCP Euro. “I think we only go forward. I believe that our customers not only want to be served that way online, but they now expect to be served that way online.”

Brent Berman, vice president, repair products, for First Brands Group, agreed, adding that e-commerce has become a legitimate sales channel that the aftermarket needs to take seriously.

“We all remember when the independent aftermarket expanded into the retail segment … and we had to manage those channels. We had to create those mechanisms in our four walls to manage those channels,” Berman said. “And I think we all have to look at [the online] channel. We expect continued growth; I think everyone sees it. We have to manage the content, the people – it’s different people. It’s not the same as the salesperson driving around in Texas; it’s a different engagement. I think we have to assess those teams and build those teams out if we want to participate in the channel properly.”

With Hedges & Co. forecasting that online sales of auto parts in the United States could hit $38 billion in 2022 (a 9.7% year-over-year increase), the online channel certainly can’t be ignored. Still, simply having an online presence isn’t enough, the panelists asserted.

“I think the days being transactional online – that doesn’t work anymore, Lough said. “We can’t be there just to sell auto parts to our customers and say we’ve done a good job. We need to be there to solve their problems. Selling parts is just one piece, or just a sliver, literally, of that entire experience for our customers.

“So I think where we go from here is creating solutions for our customers online, with automotive parts being just one piece of the puzzle.”

When we talk about the aggressive adoption of online shopping over the past two years, the image of the pandemic DIYer – stuck at home with nothing but time and cash on their hands – immediately comes to mind. But Chris Gardner, senior vice president of operations for AASA, noted that there seems to be “growing appetite” for online ordering on the DIFM side as well.

Berman agreed, adding that “the habits are already there – maybe more than we think.”

A big reason for the growth of e-commerce adoption on the DIFM side is the “generational shift” that’s been taking place in recent years, Lough asserted. Shop owners are retiring and handing over their businesses to their sons and daughters, who have grown up in the age of smartphones and Amazon.

“I think the generational shift, the [pandemic-driven] forcing function of buying online and the technology have all got to the point where we’re seeing this perfect storm where shops are finding it advantageous to buy online and to service their customers and gain that efficiency,” Lough said. “Because how does the shop make money? Well, it’s throughput. Every minute that that lift isn’t used, that’s an opportunity cost. So I think we’re really seeing shops be more in tune and amenable to buying online.”

For parts sellers and suppliers, one of the key challenges in this increasingly digital marketplace is preserving the brand equity they’ve worked so hard to build through decades of doing business. As e-commerce sales continued to grow, ow can aftermarket players avoid being commoditized?

“I think what’s going to happen is that e-tailer or that brick-and-mortar – or click-and-mortar – kind of [parts] store will win, just like in any retail business, with the service, with the smile on their face, with the dependability, the reliability and things like that,” Berman added. “That’s kind of the way I think about that. And the technicians and the shop owners will tell us over the course of the next few years who’s doing a job good.”

Lough believes it’s all about partnerships.

“When you’re dealing with a pandemic, supply chain shortages, price increases, it’s very easy to start pointing figures and getting frustrated, instead of leaning in and saying, ‘Look, I know you’re having a tough time. We’re having a tough time too. How do we have a tough time together for our customer and really grow a partnership here so that I’m bringing value to you, you’re bringing value to me, so we can both bring value to our customers?’

“I think that’s how you kind of differentiate your brand and add value to it. I don’t think you do it in a silo. I think you do it as a partnership with your manufacturers and with your vendors.”

The post

link hidden, please login to view
appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Counterman
      The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA) recently recognized Franchelle Thomas of NGK Spark Plugs (USA) with the 2022 AASA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Individual Award.
      Thomas, director of culture, communication & people for NGK, received the award on Nov. 2 at AAPEX in Las Vegas.
      “We are proud to announce the annual AASA Individual DEI award, with the purpose of recognizing an influential leader in the automotive aftermarket that supports and represents the core values of diversity, equity, & inclusion,” said Ben Brucato, vice president of engagement, AASA. “Franchelle embodies the spirit of this award, challenging our industry to be forward thinking and retaining and attracting talent from all backgrounds and walks of life. Her work and dedication to DE&I makes the industry stronger and more resilient. We applaud her efforts that affect real change.” 
      As an alumnus of Northwestern University and the University of Illinois, Thomas holds degrees in both philosophy and business. In her career, she has held leadership roles in healthcare, education and insurance, but found her love of all things in human resources.  
      She is a certified professional in human resources and a longtime member of the Society of Human Resources Management. Thomas has been invited to present HR topics to a variety of private- and public-sector employers, and her writing has been published in a series of HR publications such as HR Bulletin, HR Hero and the Society of Human Resources. Thomas has served as an advisor on employment issues with Michigan State University and several not-for-profit organizations.   
      “I am honored to be selected to receive this award from AASA,” Thomas said. “I believe at its core, diversity, equity and inclusion creates a space for all to be successful. AASA has championed the aftermarket industry’s success for many years. People, especially in our industry today, are an integral part of that success. I am delighted to stand alongside them in this endeavor.” 
      Ben Brucato took the stage to name Thomas as the 2022 AASA Diversity, Equity and Inclusion Individual Award winner.  
      Also honored during the award presentation was MOTOR Information Systems, which was awarded the AASA DEI Leadership Award (Company) and Eric Sills, president and chief executive officer at Standard Motor Products (SMP), who was named the 2022 AASA Advocacy Champion. 
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      Eric Sills, president and chief executive officer at Standard Motor Products Inc. (SMP), received the 2022 AASA Member Advocacy Award on Nov. 2 at AAPEX show in Las Vegas. 
      “Eric has taken up the reins of representing the aftermarket during a very difficult time for our country and our industry,” said Ann Wilson, senior vice president of government affairs, Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association (MEMA).  “Whether discussing supply chain challenges on Capitol Hill or organizing his colleagues to support the REPAIR Act, Eric has focused on advocating for the aftermarket.  It is truly an honor to work with Eric and to present this award to him.” 
      Sills is a proud representative of the industry and goes above and beyond to secure a bright future for the aftermarket, AASA noted. He testified to Congress on behalf of the entire manufacturing community on supply chain challenges and investing to strengthen American manufacturing and competitiveness. Sills activated his SMP-employee base to reach out to their congresspeople in support of the REPAIR Act and to help ensure a competitive market and consumer choice on where and with what parts vehicles are repaired.
      Sills and his team work toward an outcome that is positive for manufacturers, channel partners, the aftermarket and for consumers. As someone who is a fourth-generation leader in the aftermarket, he is a superior executive who not only focuses on his own organization’s success, but also considers the supplier community and the industry as a whole, AASA noted.   
      “I am deeply honored to receive this award,” Sills said. “The aftermarket is in my blood, and it is more important than ever that the industry fully participates in all aspects of the public policy process.” 
      Wilson took the stage to officially name Sills as the 2022 AASA Advocacy Champion.  
      Also honored during the award presentation were Franchelle Thomas, who received the AASA DEI Leadership Award (Individual); and MOTOR Information Systems, which received the the AASA DEI Leadership Award (Corporation).  
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA), in coordination with several key suppliers, announced the launch of
      link hidden, please login to view, a website designed to help give parts professionals information and tips on how to identify and reduce fraudulent warranty claims.   It’s been estimated that fraudulent warranty returns cost auto parts stores more than $600 million annually. The items returned for credit include worn OE parts, bricks and other items meant to simply fill the box, as well as parts that were damaged during installation. As more high-tech sensors are sold and as the cost of auto parts continues to rise, it will become increasingly important to reduce fraudulent claims.  
      The website’s goal is to educate parts professionals on how to recognize and stop fraudulent returns, as well as provide a portal to report fraudulent returns. Parts professionals also can earn “Check the Part”-branded items for reporting examples of fraudulent claims through the submission portal. 
      A group of manufacturers created the Check the Part initiative to help the industry address this widespread problem. The committee is comprised of members from Standard Motor Products, Dorman Products, KYB, MPA, Mevotech, MotoRad of America and FDP Brakes. AASA and the Auto Care Association have endorsed Check the Part.  
      The website promotes three simple steps to help reduce fraudulent claims: 
      Open the box and confirm the part is the same type of part that is described on the box and paperwork. Confirm the brand of the part matches the brand on the box. If the part is brand new and was never installed, it can be returned, but it should not be processed as a warranty. Learn more about this initiative at 
      link hidden, please login to view.   The post
    • By Counterman
      The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association’s (AASA) Technology Council (ATC) has extended the submission deadline for the 2022 Technology Innovation award to Aug. 8.
      This annual award celebrates a company that has shown extraordinary commitment to creating new and innovative products in business process technologies in the aftermarket including sales and marketing, IT and data management.  
      Finalists will pitch their new technologies during the virtual ATC Fall Meeting on Sept. 7, and the winner will be announced during the AASA Technology Conference to be held Sept. 25-28.   
      “This award is exciting because it showcases businesses that are putting in the work to make the aftermarket more efficient and more effective,” commented Chris Gardner, senior vice president, operations, AASA, and ATC executive council lead. “We are looking forward to seeing the newest best-in-class technologies and awarding the 2022 Technology Innovation Award during the AASA Technology Conference this Fall.” 
      Past winners of the ATC Technology Innovation Award  
      2021 –  link hidden, please login to view, visual search  2020 –  link hidden, please login to view, automated load sheet technology   Award entry information is available 
      link hidden, please login to view link hidden, please login to view link hidden, please login to view. Submissions are due by Aug. 8. The post
    • A-premium Auto Parts:5% OFF with Code GM5.
    • By Counterman
      The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA) announced additions to council leadership positions.
      Council executive-committee members work together to provide leadership, direction and expertise for their specific council and strive to create an enriching and important networking group.  
      The Brake Manufacturers Council announced that John Bennett, managing director of Trelleborg Sealing Solutions Detroit, was appointed incoming chairperson for the coming year. The council thanked and honored Mark Phipps, director of engineering for Bosch Brake Components, for his service as chairperson over the past three years.   
      The China Aftermarket Forum (CAF) announced that Ricky Wang, general manager, APAC, Wegman Automotive China, has been nominated the chair of the CAF executive committee. Lily Wang, deputy general manager, FORVIA, has been named to the executive committee of the council.  
      The Marketing Executives Council announced that the following individuals have joined the executive committee for the coming year: Aaron Shaffer, associate director of marketing, Standard Motor Products; Anna Heinendirk, director of marketing, strategy and business development, automotive aftermarket for Schaeffler Group USA; and Mario Garza, vice president of marketing, Motorcar Parts of America.
      Modern Industry eXpertise (MiX) announced Ryan Devine, director, global product management, engineering and program management, Dana Inc., as incoming chairman for the ensuing year, and Angela Golden, senior marketing manager, repair and cross brands, First Brands Group, as member of the MiX executive committee. At the spring meeting, the council honored and thanked Brian Lesiewicz, general manager, sales and marketing, NGK Park Plugs (USA), for his years of service as the chair of the executive committee.  
      The Mobility Technology Council announced Brian Daugherty, chief technology officer, Motor and Equipment Manufacturers Association, as a member of the council’s executive committee. 
      Supply Chain and Operations Forum has named the following individuals to the council’s inaugural executive committee: Dave Haley, senior vice president, operations, Cloyes; Joe Wright, director, Americas operations, DENSO Products and Services Americas; and Colin Tisch, vice president, corporate supply chain, Standard Motor Products.
      The AASA AAPEX Events Committee added two vice chairs: Lisa Chamness, event manager, BG Products, and Jackie Donahue, marketing manager, experiential, NGK Park Plugs (USA). Three new members have been named to the AASA AAPEX Events Committee advisory group: Erica Chekaway, sales operations manager, automotive, hardware and textile, GOJO; Joe Kahle, U.S. marketing manager, Spectra Premium; and April Fristachi, marketing coordinator, Standard Motor Products.  
      The Intellectual Property Committee (IPC) has nominated Max Faistenhammer, brand protection and security manager, DRiV, as the chair of the executive leadership team. New to the executive leadership team is Vice Chair Antun Peakovic, director and chief IP, Americas, Schaeffler. Three new members have been named to the IPC advisory group: Diane MacDonald, corporate counsel, NTN Bearing; Todd Pleiness, senior IP counsel (CRP), MAHLE; and Eliza Crowther Boenigk, associate counsel, Standard Motor Products.  
      Learn more about AASA councils and committees 
      link hidden, please login to view.  The post