• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

Growing The Family Business: Ryan Samuels

For the cover story for

link hidden, please login to view
, Editor Amy Antenora spoke with several young aftermarket professionals stepping into leadership roles at their family-owned businesses.

In Part 5 of our series, we share the story of Ryan Samuels, vice president at Samuels Inc. / Buy Wise Auto Parts in Vauxhall, New Jersey.

As VP of New Jersey’s largest independent auto parts dealer, and the fourth generation to run his family’s business, Ryan Samuels believes one of his most important roles as a leader is to listen. Not always easy, he says, but it’s been one of the best pieces of advice he’s received while working in the family business.

“Listen more than you speak,” he says. “I still struggle with it all the time, but I am always trying to get better at it.”

Working with family hasn’t been a challenge as many people might assume, Ryan says. “I was fortunate enough to get to work with my grandfather as well as my father,” he says. “I think the two biggest things they taught me was the work ethic to be successful and the importance of family. I know some people say it is difficult to work in a family business, but that has not been my experience. I consider it a privilege and if anything it has made me closer with the family members I work with.”

That work ethic instilled in him through the family business has served him well. At the young age of 41, Samuels was installed as the 2020 chairman of the Aftermarket Warehouse Distributors Association, one of the most venerable organizations in the traditional aftermarket.

Samuels says leading a family business and chairing a major industry organization during a pandemic really showed him the true value of the connections available in the aftermarket today.

“The last year and a half dealing with the pandemic has really put a focus on how great of an industry we are in and the fact that none of us are in this alone,” he says. “While we have always been heavily involved in both the National Pronto Association and the Auto Care Association, the value of these affiliations have really been highlighted through this challenging time. From things as simple as conference calls where members could share ideas and best practices, to the hard work being done by groups such as the Government Affairs team, it is really a comforting feeling to know that none of us are in this alone. These affiliations are something we lean on in good times and especially when things get a little more challenging.”

Outside of the resources available in program groups and trade associations, when in need of guidance on a challenging leadership situation, Samuels looks a little closer to home.

“Thankfully, I have many places I can go for advice when it comes to this topic,” he says. “First and foremost, would be my father, he has always been a great resource for me and continues to be today. I look to my employees for advice as well. Sometimes getting the point of view about a situation from a different lens can help me to make better decisions. Also, I am extremely lucky to have a vast network of other young leaders, many of whom are assuming a similar role to myself within their family’s organizations.”

Like the others profiled for this month’s cover story, Samuels says he maintains the culture of his family’s business by being accessible and being willing to roll up his sleeves.

“I grew up working in the business, so there is really no job here that I haven’t done or wouldn’t do again if the day called for it,” he says. “Also, I am accessible. Whether that is to an employee who has an idea or a concern, or a customer wanting to talk about something, I am here and will always make time to hear what someone has to say.”

Trying to maintain that one-on-one connection as the business has grown bigger has been a challenge, he says, but also becomes even more important in order to maintain the culture of the business.

“Trying to maintain that personal touch as we have grown has been the biggest challenge. It has made it extremely important to have quality people who align with the culture of the company.  Of course, as with any team, it is impossible to have everyone on the same page all of the time, but being able to communicate effectively and keep things moving in the right direction are more important than ever,” Samuels adds.

As a leader, Samuels says ensuring employees are well-compensated is critical, but knowing they are valued goes a long way as well. “Salaries always need to be competitive, and I think we do a good job of that here,” he says. “More importantly though, is having an environment where people know that their contributions and their opinions matter. Listening to people, solving problems in a collaborative manner, and empowering people to make decisions.”

The post

appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dorman Products
      The best way to help customers find your auto repair shop | Set up your Google Business Profile
    • By Advance Auto Parts
      Advance Auto Parts Appoints Ryan Grimsland as Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer
      11/15/2023   RALEIGH, N.C.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Advance Auto Parts, Inc. (NYSE: AAP), a leading automotive aftermarket parts provider in North America that serves both professional installer and do-it-yourself customers, today announced that it has appointed Ryan Grimsland as executive vice president and chief financial officer, effective November 27, 2023. Tony Iskander, who has served as interim chief financial officer since August 2023 will continue in his role as senior vice president, finance and treasurer.
      “I am excited to welcome Ryan to the Advance family and look forward to partnering with him as we begin a new chapter in the company’s 90-year history,” said Shane O’Kelly, president and CEO. “Following a robust search, we are confident that Ryan’s deep finance, retail, strategy development and transformation experience will be invaluable as we execute on our comprehensive business review and work to realize Advance’s full potential. We thank Tony for his dedication and outstanding contributions while serving in the interim role. As we look ahead, our entire team is focused on building on the progress we are already making to reposition the company for long-term success and value creation.”
      Mr. Grimsland, 46, brings more than 20 years of corporate finance, treasury, financial planning, and retail strategy and transformation experience. Most recently, Mr. Grimsland served as senior vice president, strategy and transformation at Lowe’s Companies, Inc. During his 17-year tenure at Lowe’s he held leadership roles across all aspects of the finance organization, including senior vice president, corporate finance and treasurer; vice president, corporate financial planning and analysis; and vice president, stores finance. Prior to joining Lowe’s, he held positions in operations and finance at Haverty’s Furniture and UBS. Mr. Grimsland earned an MBA in accounting from Benedictine University and a bachelor’s degree in business administration from High Point University.
      Mr. Grimsland said, “I am thrilled to join Advance and honored to serve as the company’s chief financial officer. I look forward to working with Shane, the board of directors and leadership team, and the nearly 70,000 dedicated team members across the organization to deliver operational improvements, execute on the company’s repositioning, and deliver long-term, sustainable shareholder value.”
      The company also announced that it is eliminating the position of executive vice president, merchandising, marketing and e-commerce, currently held by Jason McDonell, as part of its efforts to streamline the organizational structure. As a result, Mr. McDonell will depart from the company effective December 1, 2023. Mr. McDonell’s responsibilities will be assumed by other members of the Advance leadership team.
      Mr. O’Kelly added, “On behalf of the entire Advance team, I thank Jason for his leadership and contributions over the past four years. Jason helped develop our enterprise marketing and e-commerce functions and launched Advance SameDay™ delivery as well as our DieHard® brand, which has enabled accelerated battery sales growth and share gains. We wish Jason all the best in the future.”
      About Advance Auto Parts
      Advance Auto Parts, Inc. is a leading automotive aftermarket parts provider that serves both professional installer and do-it-yourself customers. As of October 7, 2023 Advance operated 4,785 stores and 320 Worldpac branches primarily within the United States, with additional locations in Canada, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands. The company also served 1,307 independently owned Carquest branded stores across these locations in addition to Mexico and various Caribbean islands. Additional information about Advance, including employment opportunities, customer services, and online shopping for parts, accessories and other offerings can be found at 
      link hidden, please login to view. Forward-Looking Statements
      Certain statements herein are “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. Forward-looking statements are usually identifiable by words such as “anticipate,” “believe,” “could,” “estimate,” “expect,” “forecast,” “guidance,” “intend,” “likely,” “may,” “plan,” “position,” “possible,” “potential,” “probable,” “project,” “should,” “strategy,” “will,” or similar language. All statements other than statements of historical fact are forward-looking statements, including, but not limited to, statements about leadership transitions, strategic initiatives, operational plans and objectives, our strategic and operational review and expectations for economic conditions, future business results and future financial performance, as well as statements regarding underlying assumptions related thereto. Forward-looking statements reflect our views based on historical results, current information and assumptions related to future developments. Except as may be required by law, we undertake no obligation to update any forward-looking statements made herein. Forward-looking statements are subject to a number of risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or implied by the forward-looking statements. They include, among others, factors related to the company’s leadership transition, the timing and implementation of strategic initiatives, our ability to hire, train and retain qualified employees, deterioration of general macroeconomic conditions, the highly competitive nature of our industry, demand for our products and services, complexities in our inventory and supply chain and challenges with transforming and growing our business. Please refer to “Item 1A. Risk Factors” of our most recent Annual Report on Form 10-K filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (“SEC”), as updated by our subsequent filings with the SEC, for a description of these and other risks and uncertainties that could cause actual results to differ materially from those projected or implied by the forward-looking statements.

• By Alex
      We are setting up this topic to share information on any impact the current
      link hidden, please login to view has on the auto parts industry. Sourcing, distribution, parts availability, and business impact. General questions and sharing of knowledge are welcome. The WHO has designated this a global pandemic that is already affecting many industries, including most sectors in the automotive industry. Corporate and Independent automotive parts stores are being impacted by repair shop businesses slowing down. As you know, many parts come from China and other parts of the world, which are affected by the current pandemic.
      Please share how this is impacting you and what you are seeing.

• By Counterman
      In link hidden, please login to view, we gave leaders from the major distribution groups and trade associations an opportunity to reflect on the most critical issues affecting the automotive aftermarket. For the second year in a row, we let distribution leaders “riff” on these topics in their own words.
      Here’s what Sanjay Patel, president of Carquest North America, had to say on the subjects of collaboration and growth opportunities.
      Carquest is built around an unrivaled passion for the customer and dedication to serving communities. As a support team, when you look at our role as a trusted advisor and business ally for our store partners, collaboration is of the utmost importance.
      We have an incredibly diverse business. Our store partners serve DIYers and professional shops, and many support local farmers with heavy machinery and agricultural needs. With this variety of customers, it’s important that we collaborate, share information and understand what works best for our store partners.
      We host quarterly meetings with our independent advisory council, two of them each year in person. This is a diverse group of store partners from across the country serving markets large and small. Through these meetings, we’re able to understand what drives their business and what they need from us to succeed. We’re able to learn from their best practices, and share what we’ve learned from the company side that can be a positive for their business.
      Our brand also is committed to creating growth opportunities for members of the Carquest family. One example is our second-annual Women of Carquest event taking place this September, where many of our outstanding female independent owners, managers and team members will connect with each other and our company leaders for sessions on networking, leadership and career growth. Plus, they’re able to build and strengthen relationships among each other, so they can learn new ways to grow their business.
      Community involvement has been a shared focus for Carquest and our store partners. Last year, we asked our independent store partners about the causes that resonated with them and their customers. The resounding answer was supporting members of the military, veterans and their families. With that in mind, we aligned with Hire Heroes USA, a nonprofit dedicated to finding meaningful employment and career guidance for military veterans entering the workforce.
      We have a tremendous amount of owned assets available for our owners to better entrench their businesses with their customers. More owners are leveraging Carquest Technical Institute and Worldpac Training Institute to hold in-person training events for their customers at Carquest store locations. As EVs, hybrids, ADAS and other emerging technologies become more prominent, these training opportunities help store partners and their customers enhance their rapport and further their knowledge of today’s vehicles.
      I believe collaboration is at its purest form when we’re in the field. I recently had the privilege of joining our Carquest field leaders in Nebraska, where we put more than 1,300 miles on a rental car visiting independent owners. Spending time in market and seeing how the magic happens alongside our store partners is motivating. It gets me excited about the present and future of our Carquest brand.
      Carquest Auto Parts
      Founded: 1974 Headquarters: Raleigh, North Carolina Number of distribution centers: 27 Carquest (U.S.) distribution centers Number of parts stores: 1,315 independently owned Carquest (U.S.) stores Website: link hidden, please login to view link hidden, please login to view The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • A-premium Auto Parts:5% OFF with Code GM5.
    • By Counterman
      To further enhance and expand its replacement parts and service business in North America, Stellantis announced the bproauto aftermarket parts brand as its new line of high-quality, competitively priced, replacement parts.
      Following decades of success in Europe and other international markets, including the Middle East and South America, the newly introduced
      link hidden, please login to view is available for most makes and models to help combat the rapidly changing aftermarket and the long-term shift to electrification as vehicles and their components are becoming increasingly complex and digital, the automaker noted. The original-equipment-backed parts come with up to a two-year/unlimited-mile warranty. In addition, batteries have up to two-year free replacement coverage and brake pads carry a limited lifetime warranty, according to Stellantis.
      “With the introduction of bproauto, we’re further enhancing the customer experience by offering a new, competitively priced, private-label line of high-quality, factory-backed parts for most makes and models,” said Mike Koval, head of Mopar North America. “While Mopar will remain the global original-equipment parts and authentic accessories brand for Stellantis, bproauto will offer an alternative for nearly all brands and all cars – new, used, owned, rented or shared. With Mopar and bproauto, our dealerships offer a 360-degree, multi-brand, one-stop-shop solution for nearly all customers, all vehicles and all brands.”
      In North America, 30 parts categories will be available for most makes and models to support the ongoing transition of the automotive repair industry. Additional product lines will phase into the Stellantis dealership network.
      The following parts are available now from bproauto:
      Air filters Batteries Brake pads Brake rotors Hub bearings Oil and oil filters Tire-pressure monitoring systems Additional high-quality products coming from bproauto will include:
      ABS sensorsIgnition coilsA/C compressorsLubricantsA/C condensersO2 sensorsA/C evaporatorsRadiatorsAlternatorsShocksBall jointsSpark plugsBattery cablesSpark plug wiresBrake calipersStartersBrake hardwareStrutsBulbsTaillampsChemicalsThermostatsControl armsTie-rod endsFiltration: cabin and transmissionTiming belts/tensionersFuel injectorsU-jointsFuel pump modulesWater pumpsFunctional fluidsWiper bladesHeadlamps  The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.