Quantcast
  • Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Thanks for visiting our brand new online forum for automotive parts. We are just starting to build content and invite you to join us here in our new online discussion forum for automotive parts topics.  Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even do it with social network platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, and LinkedIn.  

Teddy

Using the right GM Dexos Oil in a Chevy Equinox

I think this relates to many GM newer engines, but I ran into this recently on a late model Chevy Equinox that seemed to have an oil consumption issue. The car was burning 2 quarts every 2-3k miles. now the dealer states that it's normal to burn 1/2 a quart every 1k miles, so this was excessive. I had the oil changed and they used Dexos spec oil and the consumption got significantly less. They say to use a blend or full synthetic. Prior to this I had Valvoline perform the routine maintenance with standard oil not really thinking about it until I noticed an engine rattle after being 2 quarts low, especially on turns. Once I topped it off, it went away. Nevertheless,  I felt it was consuming and took it to the dealer. So now, Dexos only approved oil and i never thought about it but it says Dexos right on the oil cap. Anyone else run into this?

• Like 1