• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

I have been a mechanic for many years. I used to buy Napa Auto Parts almost always. I felt the parts were good quality, although more expensive than others. It does not pay to install poor quality parts on a car, they come back, and bite you!  Unfortunately, a few years ago it seems Napa changed their policy on quality. This happened around the time they totally changed the on-line site.  Around the same time, I started looking at Rock Auto on-line. Rock Auto offers each part by a few different manufacturers, quality levels, and prices. I started noticing that despite Napa still charging higher prices, they were now supplying the cheapest, lowest quality parts instead of the better quality they were known for.  Given that, why would a person order from Napa, when Rock Auto is surprisingly lower priced, and you have a quality level choice . Napa seems to be riding on their previous well known name, while keeping the prices artificially high.

Some prime examples of this is, I purchased a starter solenoid, (eckland, Napa's electrical brand), as a preventative measure. The third start-up, after installing, the solenoid froze in the on position, with key off, and kept the starter spinning and engaged until I could unhook one battery terminal. Burned up the relay, starter, and a couple wires.  I purchased a rebuilt alternator, took it from the box, and turned it, it felt rough turning, as if there was dirt in the bearing race or defective bearing components. I purchased Napa's best fuel pump, and it was very noisy from day one. I purchased a set of Napa Branded, 2 ton each, jack stands. One of them had a defective casting that would not allow the stop to lock in place. Although it seemed it locked, when weight was applied, it fell.  I purchased rebuilt Ford Front calipers from Napa, and with in one year, the unplated soft steel bleeder screws has rusted solid to the caliper!

Are other people seeing this too??

Great Tire Deal

Napa doesn't make anything so its all just privately branded. That being said, you have to watch what you buy. Rock Auto doesn't have their own brand and sells the manufacturer branded parts directly from other suppliers. The reality is that since rock auto, amazon, and other online sellers hit the market and online purchasing increased, margins dropped because of heavy competition. Large companies like Napa have more overhead than Rock Auto. Rock Auto is drop-shipping, they don't have any warehouses or parts stores. They are order takes and have negotiated with companies like Parts Authority and other WDs to send out (drop ship) their orders.  They make much less margin but sell a lot. They have much less overhead; no stores, no large staff of employees, etc., so they can afford to do that. Napa can't sell at those prices without closing some stores, laying off some people, and reducing overhead to operate at lower margins.

So...to keep margins higher, Napa renegotiates with manufacturers and sometimes quality suffers because the manufacturers try to make it for less. 

• Like 1

Teddy, Thanks for your input. I understand and agree with most or your reply. The whole point though, is quality. Otherwise what are you buying? Most of the troublesome parts were made in china. I am more familiar with china made products than I'd like to be.  Fact is china is actually ruining the world base product supply. When you take a close look at a china mfgd part, you first find that the metal structure is either castings with small to large holes, covered up with a grey putty, or pressed steel parts where the metal is contaminated causing weak spots and corrosion.  You also find parts inside that do not really fit, such as springs that are too long, insulating washers too thin, fastener threads incorrect, and rough mating / moving parts. Then you find dirty solders, missing solders,  solder tabs too small for the pc board, and wiring attached to terminals with solder only.  On top of that a reliable parts supply for repair of china made products does not exist. The point is that a person or garage cannot even do preventative work  without serious risk. It's become better to keep a rusty, corroded part till it dies. China has taken manufacturing to a new all time low, and napa is buying those parts and representing them as quality with both advertising and cost. Car parts that are unreliable is a serious problem for the world. 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Joe Pagone….based on past experiences with you, I find it hard to take you seriously. Perhaps you are still living in the past and cannot catch up with the reality of how the world works now. Or, maybe you are just being yourself, a cranky constant complainer. In any case, I find it hard to believe that the Washington store treated you so badly. If this were true, I doubt highly that this particular store would remain in business as this would be happening to all customers. If you don't like how they treated you, you are free to conduct business elsewhere. But knowing you as I do, I'm sure you will find fault with everyone you do business with. Vote for Trump in 2020 and let him bring back more manufacturing to America and then maybe you will be happy with the quality. OOps, I forgot......you don't vote.

• Like 1

A Proud Deplorable, I don't know who you are, but you clearly don't know me. You're probably a napa washington employee or owner.  What I said happened, happened. The fact that you're unhappy about me letting people know changes nothing, the pretending to know me, but hiding your name will be figured out by anyone with half a brain. It shows even further how child like and dishonest the owners william, and george in the machine shop are. The rest of your reply is not worth replying to.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

My Catalytic Converter was stolen off of my 2007 Toyota Prius. The shop replacing it does not like Napa replacement parts, but my insurance will not pay if he uses a better part.  My questions are: 1. are Napa parts for the cat good still?  and 2. Do the parts  carry sufficient permanent, non-removable identification so as to identify the manufacturer. Such identification shall be accessible to the greatest extent possible after installation?

Thank you,

Sharon

• 1 year later...

Napa may pay more for the part because they buy less or because they couldn't get the same deal as other companies for any reason. Other shops may sell more alternators in order to charge less and profit more. There's also the usual supply and demand issue to consider. In stores, all costs are multi-dimensional. I recently lost the keys of my car, and I had no duplicate. Instead of changing the lock, I went for a

link hidden, please login to view
, and they made a few pairs of keys for me, so I will have a reserve even if I lose one pair.

Edited by Sonilor

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Similar Topics

• By Dorman Products
      Silverado or Sierra leaking coolant? Fix that connection for good
    • By NAPA
      Brad Sweet and the
      link hidden, please login to view No. 49 team were poised to take on a busy week of High Limit Racing action, but Tuesday night’s event at Davenport Speedway in Iowa was rained out. That left two nights at I-70 Speedway in Odessa, Mo., on the schedule, and an opportunity for Sweet and the NAPA team to showcase their skills to fans and competitors alike. At the Rayce Rudeen Foundation event opener Friday night at I-70, Sweet posted the sixth-quickest time overall in qualifying with a lap of 13.768 seconds on the half-mile dirt oval. The Big Cat then dominated his heat race, taking the checkered flag and securing his spot in the FK Rod Ends Dash. With the help of his daughter Savannah, Sweet drew the third starting spot for the seven-lap dash to set the field for the evening’s feature. The NAPA driver held his ground to finish third, then lined up third for the feature. Sweet was able to pick up a spot in Friday’s main event. He crossed the line in the runner-up position.
      On Saturday night, Sweet was already locked into heat race competition thanks to his podium finish on Friday. The NAPA No. 49 was second across the line after starting fourth in the heat race. Sweet kept the energy level high in Saturday’s dash and finished third. The NAPA team went on to battle hard against tough competition in the main event. After a late-race caution, Sweet spun the tires on the restart and fell back to fifth. He maintained that position when the checkered flag flew.
      Despite the rain-out at Davenport, Sweet and the NAPA Auto Parts No. 49 team extended their points lead with the runner-up and top-five finishes. Sweet now leads the standings with a solid, 65-point advantage over second place. Eagle Raceway, a favorite from the 2023 season, is next on the schedule with a $55,000-to-win event.
      Start / Finish:
      Friday, June 7: 3 / 2
      Saturday, June 8: 3 / 5
      Points Standing / Total: 1st / 1,540 pts. (+65)
      Next Race: Tuesday, June 11, Eagle Raceway, Eagle, Nebraska
      How to Watch or Listen: 
      link hidden, please login to view NAPA: 
      link hidden, please login to viewBrad Sweet:  link hidden, please login to view
      Kasey Kahne Racing:  link hidden, please login to view The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      Matt Crumpton says: “I was drawn to the automotive aftermarket because this is an industry that brings a broad range of car lovers together, from technicians to drivers.”
      In this installment of “
      link hidden, please login to view…,” get to know Crumpton, his role at  link hidden, please login to view, industry involvement, what initiatives at NAPA he’s most proud of, his personal mantras, and much more. Tell us about your role and what you like best about it.
      I manage program development across three major business sectors within the NAPA Auto Care program: partner relationships (with AAA being our largest and longest tenured partner with overlapping NAPA Auto Care programs), program enhancements for NAPA Auto Care, and Autotech technical training. What makes all three successful is the incredible team we have at NAPA. I like the fact that it is fast paced, always evolving and has tremendous impact on our business and the success of our customers. What attracted you to the automotive aftermarket?
      I grew up around cars and they will always be a passion of mine. I was drawn to the automotive aftermarket because this is an industry that brings a broad range of car lovers together, from technicians to drivers. NAPA in particular, has an impressive network that is doing a lot to drive the aftermarket forward. This business is unique, challenging and ever changing, which has kept me interested after all these years. Tell us about your industry involvement? 
      I am involved in several car care ministries, and extremely passionate about the “Slow Down and Move Over” campaigns to protect our roadside heroes. Name a favorite trip or place on your “bucket list” you’d like to see? 
      Italy is probably at the top of my list. What do you do when you’re not at work? 
      Mostly think about work! Hahaha.. Mostly I spend time with my amazing wife, my grown kids and time at the lake. What’s your favorite book and why?
      Anything by Lee Childs and industry articles. What initiatives you’ve participated in within NAPA are you most proud of?
      That is a tough one, if it spans my entire career at NAPA, then it would have to be the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund which serves United States military personnel injured in performance of their duties. Since 2012, NAPA’s support has helped the Intrepid Fallen Heroes Fund build five Intrepid Spirit Centers across the U.S., which brings the care of the Intrepid Fallen Heroes treatment to more military personnel across the country. You started out as an auto technician. How has what you learned in that role transferred over to the executive side of things? 
      It gave me a unique perspective and insight into what impacts our customers every day and taught me the importance of great work ethic and the drive to always look for educational opportunities. What is your personal mantra? 
      I have two. Always do what is needed before what is wanted. Never ask anyone to do anything that you would not do yourself. Who was your childhood hero, and who is it now? 
      Hands down John Wayne, now it is my father without a shadow of a doubt. The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By NAPA
      With the High Limit Racing points lead in hand, Brad Sweet and the
      link hidden, please login to view No. 49 team had their eyes on victory at the renowned Port Royal Speedway when they  traveled to Pennsylvania for the Bob Weikert Memorial race. With weather dampening the festivities on Saturday night, Sweet and the NAPA team focused on Sunday’s main event, which boasted a $75,000 top prize. The No. 49 sprint car was strong in Sunday qualifying, securing the ninth-quickest time overall with a lap of 17.116 seconds. The heat race proved a challenge; Sweet finished sixth after starting fifth, missing the dash and locking into the main event. With an 18th-place starting spot in the feature, the NAPA team had a long climb ahead for a chance at victory. Port Royal proved a real challenge for the Big Cat, though. After 40 laps, Sweet could only maintain his spot to finish 18th.
      Although not the result the NAPA team was hoping for, Sweet took the experience as a learning opportunity for their return to Port Royal in the fall. The NAPA driver is now second in the High Limit Racing point standings, just one point shy of the leader.
      “It was a tough race, and the weather certainly added to the challenges, but I’m proud of the team’s effort,” said Sweet. “We’ll take what we learned here and come back stronger. The competition is fierce, and being just one point behind keeps us motivated to work even harder.”
      The team will compete tonight at Grandview Speedway before heading to Indiana.
      Start / Finish: 18 / 18
      Points Standing / Total: 2nd / 1,204 pts. (-1)
      Next Race: Tuesday, May 28, Grandview Speedway, Bechtelsville, PA
      How to Watch or Listen: 
      link hidden, please login to view NAPA: 
      link hidden, please login to viewBrad Sweet:  link hidden, please login to view
      Kasey Kahne Racing:  link hidden, please login to view The post
    • A-premium Auto Parts:5% OFF with Code GM5.
    • By jazroot84
      You should consider us if you are looking for an link hidden, please login to view. After receiving your orders online with the requisite details ( make and model with manufacturing year), we can check inventories in the area's junkyards. Additionally, our junkyards are located to find the suitable airbags and the right type and numbers per your order. The fascinating thing is that you'll get this at half the price for the new module.
      For more information please contact us at +1-609-951-9801.