Quantcast
  • Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, Twitter, Google, and LinkedIn. 

AASA’s McCarthy: ‘Current Market Is A Battle For Availability’

In our 2022 Distribution Preview in

link hidden, please login to view
, aftermarket leaders talk about some of the key issues affecting the industry, and discuss their plans, goals and expectations for the year ahead.

This year, we added several fun “Lightning Round” questions that you won’t want to miss.

Here’s our Q&A with Paul McCarthy, president and CEO of the Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA).

AMN/CM: What are your thoughts about the business environment for the automotive aftermarket in 2022? 

PM: Positive. From the demand side, our most recent supplier barometer showed suppliers and our industry to be very positive about the next six months. Demand is of course at record levels, and orders were also strong, showing positivity on this market performance continuing. The current market is a battle for availability, something to be classified in the category of “good problems.”

For the second half of the year, there is cautious optimism, but a few questions. Will inflation take a toll on the ability of consumers to spend? Can the economy and demand continue at this level? There is clearly positivity, but there remains a bit of continuation of what has been the watchword for the last two years: uncertainty. 

That said, even when things slow from the current incredibly strong growth, we can’t lose sight of the silver lining: We seem to be leaving the pandemic with a more auto-centric lifestyle than we went into it – and that bodes well for the future of the aftermarket. We’ve seen this shift in consumers’ desire for more space; in booming used-car prices; in Americans rediscovering their love of the automobile in the pandemic DIY boom; and in house prices and settlement patterns in exurbs, smaller cities and the Western states. Coming out of COVID, where most Americans want to live now requires that car, or even a third or fourth car.  It requires the aftermarket. Longer-term, we’re optimistic about our industry.

The other “business environment” issue that needs to be mentioned is the supply chain challenge. This is the biggest supply chain disruption we have faced since World War II. Unlike previous supply chain crises, it is not like if we solve for problem “X,” we have fixed the problem. Every part of the supply chain has faced difficulties. This is systemic disruption. There are the port and trucking issues that have captured headlines, as well as shortages, price spikes or allocations in almost everything that goes into our products, from semiconductors to steel to resins to subcomponents to packaging. If that weren’t enough, we are also facing inflation and historic order levels and what may be the biggest challenge, worker shortages. We have almost a million open manufacturing positions in just the U.S., with the same difficulties staffing our distribution facilities, transportation and offices.

Frankly, it has been amazing how well all of us have fulfilled customer demand given these challenges. Despite little to no improvement in inbound goods and manufacturing inputs, our most recent AASA Supplier Barometer showed that fill rates have significantly improved since early in the year. This is thanks, in part, to supplier ingenuity and problem-solving. It is also due to improvements in communication up and down the value chain. Collaboration is showing real results. Though the end is not in sight, improvement is happening.

AMN/CM: As advanced driver-assistance systems (ADAS) and other emerging technologies become more prevalent on new vehicles, it will require the brightest minds to service and repair them. How can we better position this challenge as an opportunity for the parts and service segments of the aftermarket?

PM: Glad you mention ADAS. There has been so much focus on electrification that we’ve not paid enough attention to ADAS, the revolution that is just around the corner. As soon as 2024, two-thirds of new vehicles will have some level 1-3 driving automation technology. By 2030, ADAS will be on almost half of the vehicle fleet, a vastly greater penetration than electrification.

ADAS brings a lot of expensive parts.  Each of these technologies can break or need calibration or maintenance. This huge increase in vehicle technology bodes well for future aftermarket “tickets.” At this point, this work largely goes to the dealer. And, as volume grows, the aftermarket needs to do what we’ve done with vehicle reprogramming – provide easy solutions, including calibration, trusted parts and training – to simply make this part of the repair offering, easily.

We will have a session at the AASA Vision Conference the first week of April where we will share our latest research and thought leadership on the growth rates and aftermarket opportunities for ADAS in the second half of this decade.

ADAS’s growth also highlights the need for Right to Repair, including access to vehicle data, diagnostics and product-integration information and software APIs to ensure a continued competitive market and consumer choice on where – and with what parts – vehicles can be repaired.

AMN/CM: What phrase describes your “words to live by?”

PM: Cheating – two from Stephen Covey: “Begin with the end in mind” and “Think win-win.”

AMN/CM: What is your best icebreaker at a networking reception?

PM: How’s the family? (Always nice to hear the answers about people who people love.) 

AMN/CM: What is your dream car, or favorite vehicle you’ve owned?

PM: Right now, the additional cars I wish I had parked in my driveway migrate between an Icon Derelict based on a ‘53 Studebaker Starliner Coupe, another Miata (convertible, cheap, easy to work on and fun to drive, so always a good bonus car), or maybe a Bronco … all fun to think about …

The post

appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Counterman
      Advance Auto Parts announced it has opened 22 new stores in the Los Angeles market as part of the company’s broader strategic expansion into the Western United States. 
      In spring 2021, Advance announced its plan to expand into California by leasing 109 Pep Boys stores and converting them to Advance stores, more than half of which are in the Los Angeles area. 
      “We estimate that 70% of our customers in Los Angeles fit the profile of the classic do-it-yourselfer. Pairing that with the more than 7.6 million registered vehicles in Los Angeles’ unique car culture, this is a tremendous opportunity for Advance to bring care and speed to motorists through expert advice and best-in-class products and services,” said Tom Greco, president and chief executive officer of Advance. “Our timing couldn’t be better as the average vehicle age increases while used car and gasoline prices are rising, resulting in greater demand for vehicle maintenance.”
      Vehicle owners in Los Angeles and other parts of the West will gain access to everything Advance stores offer, such as free curbside and in-store pickup within 30 minutes of ordering online, as well as some of the most trusted automotive brands in the world, including DieHard, the company noted. In response to the emerging popularity of hybrid and electric cars, Advance last month introduced the DieHard EV battery – the first-to-market 12-volt battery designed specifically for hybrid and electric vehicles and sold exclusively at Advance.
      Advance also will support local communities and professional technicians across California by employing approximately 1,850 team members in the state when all 109 stores are converted, including staffing the company’s newly opened 45,000-square-foot “super hub” flagship location, centrally located off the 10 and 110 freeways in the Pico Union neighborhood near downtown Los Angeles. 
      With a growing need to service the approximately 14 million registered vehicles in California, including an increased number of electric and hybrid vehicles, Advance also brings the ability for professional repair partners to expand their technical knowledge with virtual and in-person training opportunities, available through Carquest Technical Institute and Worldpac Training Institute, which are developed and taught by factory-trained instructors and available to automotive technicians nationwide, Advance noted.
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      Photo caption, from left to right: Brandon Igdalsky, NASCAR managing director, touring & weekly series; Ben Kennedy, NASCAR senior vice president, racing development & strategy; Ryan Blaney, driver of No. 12 Advance Auto Parts Ford Mustang; and Jason McDonell, Advance Auto Parts chief marketing officer.
      Advance Auto Parts, entitlement sponsor of the NASCAR Advance Auto Parts Weekly Series (NAAPWS), announced the return of its “Advance My Track Challenge,” a program that spotlights NASCAR’s short tracks in communities across North America.
      During the program, race fans are invited to vote for their favorite NASCAR home track, with the most popular track winning a $50,000 grand prize. The voting window is open on 
      link hidden, please login to view, with 21 NAAPWS tracks across the United States and Canada eligible to win. The first round of voting concludes Friday, May 6.
      The top six tracks receiving the most votes will move on to the final round, taking place May 9-13. The track with the most fan votes in the final round will win the grand prize, courtesy of Advance. The track finishing with the second-most votes will receive $15,000, and the third-place track will win $10,000.
      Teams at winning tracks may use winnings for facility enhancements or to establish community-based programs with schools, nonprofits or other local organizations.   
      “We are thrilled to bring the Advance My Track Challenge to race fans for a second year,” said Jason McDonell, Advance’s executive vice president of merchandising, marketing and e-commerce. “NASCAR’s home tracks and the Weekly Series play a critical role in our sport, giving local racers and future superstars the opportunity to put on a great show for their communities. This program helps advance historic grassroots racing venues while recognizing the communities with loyal and passionate racing fans.”
      “The Advance My Track Challenge is a great partnership with Advance Auto Parts that puts a well-deserved focus on our weekly tracks and the development of their infrastructure to enhance facilities in local communities,” said Ben Kennedy, NASCAR senior vice president, racing development & strategy. “Our roots in racing at the local level are a key part of NASCAR’s history and future success, and this is instrumental in engaging more fans at weekly tracks.”
      In support of the program, Advance My Track Challenge branding will be featured on Team Penske’s No. 12 Advance Auto Parts Ford Mustang driven by Ryan Blaney at this Saturday’s race at the Martinsville Speedway in Martinsville, Virginia.
       “Short-track racing has been part of my family for generations, and we’ve had great memories at the track,” said Blaney, a third-generation race car driver and seven-time NASCAR Cup Series race winner. “Ensuring the success of local tracks is something that’s important to me and my family, so it’s exciting to have a partner like Advance who is making it their mission to support NASCAR’s Home Tracks. We look forward to racing with Advance My Track Challenge on our Ford at Martinsville, one of NASCAR’s most iconic grassroots-style tracks.”
      The Advance My Track Challenge launched in 2021, with the $50,000 grand prize awarded to Berlin Raceway, a 7/16-mile paved oval track located just outside Grand Rapids, Michigan. More than 122,000 votes were cast by race fans during last year’s voting window.  
      Advance’s support of NASCAR’s home tracks extends beyond the Advance My Track Challenge. The retailer is using its season-long sponsorship of Blaney’s No. 12 Ford to showcase NASCAR-sanctioned short tracks across the United States and Canada. Each week, two different tracks will be featured on Blaney’s car. For every Blaney Cup Series victory, the winning track(s) on his car each will receive $1,200 from Advance. Through Blaney’s three NASCAR victories last season, Advance awarded winnings to six different NASCAR home tracks.
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      In this latest episode of “AMN Drivetime” with Babcox Media CEO Bill Babcox, we hear from Paul McCarthy, president and CEO of the Automotive Suppliers Association (AASA).
      A well-known figure on the aftermarket stage, we get to know a little more about Paul’s career path, from helping his grandfather work on cars as a kid to now leading one of the aftermarket’s leading trade associations, and the interesting career choices in between. 
      In the interview, Bill and Paul discuss a range of topics from Paul’s natural affable speaking presence to his thoughts on EVs, Right to Repair, Biden-administration policies affecting the aftermarket and more.
      When asked what the secret is to being such a natural and authentic public speaker, McCarthy’s response only illustrates what a passionate and humble industry servant he is. McCarthy shares that it’s easy to talk about something you care about.
      “My great blessing is that I get to work on behalf of the industry. I get to work on behalf of all of you, and this is an industry I’m passionate about. It’s a role I take very seriously,” he said. “The downside of course, is that I have thousands of bosses. The upside is that I have real purpose in my work and your listeners are that purpose. And it’s very motivating for us to try as a team here at AASA to champion the aftermarket industry, to support the aftermarket supplier community. So, I know I’m very blessed to get to serve in this role.”
      In this episode, Bill and Paul dive into:
      How Paul got his start in the automotive industry (00:48) What was Paul’s very unique first real, paying job? We’ll give you a hint … can you say, “a hoy matey!” (02:45) The secret to being a natural and authentic public speaker (04:08) The value of strong relationships in the aftermarket and the mentors he’s worked with (05:44) What’s on the horizon for AASA in 2022 and beyond (08:49) Paul’s thoughts on the current administration and what policies will impact AASA members (13:25)  The “million-dollar question:
      Paul’s take on EV’s and the aftermarket’s level of preparedness for them (16:00) Thoughts on Right to Repair (19:14) Impressions from the return to AAPEX in 2020 (22:34) One hobby Paul has that surprises his team members (24:52) “AMN Drivetime” is sponsored by Litens.
      link hidden, please login to view link hidden, please login to view The post
    • eManualonline.com - Save 5% OFF on orders Over $50, Use Code Blaze. Ends 12/31/22.
    • By Counterman
      In this latest episode of “AMN Drivetime” with Babcox Media CEO Bill Babcox, we hear from Paul McCarthy, president and CEO of the Automotive Suppliers Association (AASA).
      A well-known figure on the aftermarket stage, we get to know a little more about Paul’s career path, from helping his grandfather work on cars as a kid to now leading one of the aftermarket’s leading trade associations, and the interesting career choices in between. 
      In the interview, Bill and Paul discuss a range of topics from Paul’s natural affable speaking presence to his thoughts on EVs, Right to Repair, Biden-administration policies affecting the aftermarket and more.
      When asked what the secret is to being such a natural and authentic public speaker, McCarthy’s response only illustrates what a passionate and humble industry servant he is. McCarthy shares that it’s easy to talk about something you care about.
      “My great blessing is that I get to work on behalf of the industry. I get to work on behalf of all of you, and this is an industry I’m passionate about. It’s a role I take very seriously,” he said. “The downside of course, is that I have thousands of bosses. The upside is that I have real purpose in my work and your listeners are that purpose. And it’s very motivating for us to try as a team here at AASA to champion the aftermarket industry, to support the aftermarket supplier community. So, I know I’m very blessed to get to serve in this role.”
      In this episode, Bill and Paul dive into:
      How Paul got his start in the automotive industry (00:48) What was Paul’s very unique first real, paying job? We’ll give you a hint … can you say, “a hoy matey!” (02:45) The secret to being a natural and authentic public speaker (04:08) The value of strong relationships in the aftermarket and the mentors he’s worked with (05:44) What’s on the horizon for AASA in 2022 and beyond (08:49) Paul’s thoughts on the current administration and what policies will impact AASA members (13:25)  The “million-dollar question:
      Paul’s take on EV’s and the aftermarket’s level of preparedness for them (16:00) Thoughts on Right to Repair (19:14) Impressions from the return to AAPEX in 2020 (22:34) One hobby Paul has that surprises his team members (24:52) “AMN Drivetime” is sponsored by Litens.
      link hidden, please login to view link hidden, please login to view The post