• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

Federated CEO: ‘Supply Chain Disruption Remains A Top Concern’

In our 2022 Distribution Preview in

link hidden, please login to view
, aftermarket leaders talk about some of the key issues affecting the industry, and discuss their plans, goals and expectations for the year ahead.

This year, we added several fun “Lightning Round” questions that you won’t want to miss.

Here’s our Q&A with Sue Godschalk, president of Federated Auto Parts.

AMN/CM: What did your organization accomplish in 2021 that you are most proud of?

SG: Last year, the Federated team was determined to get back to some sense of normalcy. We put more emphasis on finding ways to help our members improve their businesses. We ran a very successful sales-driven promotion that benefited both our members and supplier partners, and we tied that promotion to the Federated 400 NASCAR race in Richmond, Virginia. We also focused on enhancements in areas such as training and data services. We worked hard to help our members grow their sales while focusing on improving efficiencies at headquarters through more emphasis on cutting expenses and cross-training employees.

When supply chain disruption created another challenge, the situation was made less painful for our membership due to the Federated Co-Man Warehouse. The Federated Co-Man operation was able to fill orders for many products that members were having trouble sourcing from suppliers.  Having talented buyers and dedicated employees at our Co-Man facility helped to keep the shelves stocked at our member locations.   

I am so proud of the Federated leadership and membership and as they continue to prove that they are determined, innovative and resilient. I look forward to an even stronger 2022.

AMN/CM: What are some of the biggest trends that could have an impact on your business in 2022?

SG: Supply chain disruption remains a top concern for 2022. Many companies continue to face shipping delays, making order fulfillment difficult. I believe we can also expect to see an enormous amount of ensuing price changes continue in 2022, and persisting labor shortages will have a major effect on businesses. I think COVID-19 will continue to impact the labor shortage, as will the uncertainty surrounding the implementation of a new federal vaccine mandate.

In 2021, we saw a change in consumers’ vehicle preferences. Light trucks (pickups, SUVs, CUVs) became a larger share of the overall vehicle population. I believe this trend will continue in 2022. Replacement parts for these vehicles typically cost more. Plus, these are the types of vehicles that consumers like to accessorize – two positives for aftermarket sales.

Another trend that will continue to be strong in the coming year and beyond is online retailing. Before COVID-19, many automotive companies were hesitant to provide online ordering to consumers. Statistics have clearly shown that online selling has become the new normal.

Increased production of electric vehicles with digital technology will certainly impact the aftermarket. All indications are that electric vehicles will come sooner rather than later. I expect we will see OEMs create EV-specific maintenance plans with the intent to convince consumers that they are the only source qualified to work on these vehicles. Having trained technicians with access to vehicle-repair specifications, along with the proper diagnostic equipment, will be key for independent repair shops to manage the complexity of the next generation of vehicles.

AMN/CM: What do you feel is the greatest opportunity in the automotive aftermarket right now?

SG: Increased sales of pre-owned vehicles will certainly benefit aftermarket sales. All indicators show that the demand for used vehicles will continue to be high. Late-model used vehicles feature the latest technology, requiring automotive repair shops to have well-trained technicians to correctly install parts and service vehicles. Because consumers are keeping their vehicles longer, the chance of component failures will increase the need for vehicle service and aftermarket parts.

AMN/CM: What phrase describes your “words to live by?”

SG: That which does not kill us makes us stronger.

AMN/CM: What is your best icebreaker at a networking reception?

SG: How is everything going for you so far?

AMN/CM: What is your dream car, or favorite vehicle you’ve owned?

SG: I love my current vehicle … a 2014 Audi Q5.

The post

appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Counterman
      Applications are being accepted for the Federated Car Care Scholarship program.
      Interested students should complete and submit their applications at
      link hidden, please login to view by March 31. The Federated Car Care scholarships are funded by Fisher Auto Parts in memory of Art Fisher, founder of Federated Auto Parts and the Federated Car Care program. Qualified candidates should specify “Federated” on their application when applying online.
      Administered by the University of the Aftermarket Foundation (
      link hidden, please login to view), the scholarships will be awarded to employees and children of active Federated Car Care Center members attending a two- or four-year accredited college, an ASE/NATEF-certified post-secondary automotive, heavy-duty or collision technician training program or any licensed and accredited vocational school. Students graduating from high school in 2024 and heading to any of these post-secondary programs also are eligible. “It is a privilege for us to once again provide scholarship opportunities to the children and employees of Car Care members, assisting them in furthering their education,” said Bo Fisher, chairman and CEO of Fisher Auto Parts. “The University of the Aftermarket Foundation’s AutomotiveScholarships.com website streamlines the application process. We urge all interested candidates to submit their applications by March 31 and look forward to awarding Federated Car Care scholarships to another group of deserving young men and women for the 2024-25 academic year.”
      Federated is one of more than 30 other organizations awarding scholarships on
      link hidden, please login to view. As an added benefit for students who apply at this site, each completed application will be considered by every scholarship where the candidate meets the qualifications. The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      Eric Johnson, president and managing partner of Arnold Motor Supply/The Merrill Company, is visiting Northwood University this week to meet with students enrolled in automotive aftermarket courses. 
      “Efforts to encourage and educate students are so valuable because not only are we helping individuals, we’re also helping to shape the future of our industry,” Johnson said. “Preparing students with the mindset, skills and knowledge they need to be successful contributes to the overall growth and innovation of the aftermarket.” 
      Johnson, a member of the Aftermarket Auto Parts Alliance board of directors, spoke with students enrolled in aftermarket category management, aftermarket management research and aftermarket manufacturing management, among others.
      “As a University of the Aftermarket graduate and supporter of Northwood University, Eric wanted to invest in the future leaders of the industry by sharing several real-life cases relevant to the aftermarket classes,” said Dr. Thomas Litzinger, executive director of the University of the Aftermarket/Northwood aftermarket industry chair.
      Students enrolled in aftermarket category management are prepared for the role of product manager through inventory-modeling techniques and data analysis. The aftermarket manufacturing management course explores the role manufacturers play in the aftermarket and what business functions they employ.
      Aftermarket management research teaches students research techniques to form a hypothesis and sample the data to reject or not reject the hypothesis.
      “Our students are eager to engage with industry leaders and learn from their expertise,” said James O’Dell, assistant director of aftermarket education. “This real-life industry experience sets Northwood students apart, makes them uniquely qualified and prepares them for success in their career.”
      The global market value of the aftermarket exceeds $400 billion. Northwood’s 
      link hidden, please login to view is the only one of its kind. Students in this program are fueled by their passions for cars, the aftermarket and turning this passion into a career someday.   “The program has nearly a 100% employment rate for all graduates in the program,” Northwood said in a news release. “Part of their success is because Northwood helps them engage in real-world experiences and network with industry leaders like Eric Johnson.”
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Counterman
      AutoZone on Jan. 2 completed its previously announced leadership transition plan.
      Phil Daniele became president and CEO. Daniele, a 30-year AutoZoner, previously served as executive vice president merchandising, marketing and supply chain.
      Bill Rhodes, who most recently served as chairman, president and CEO, transitioned into the role of executive chairman. Rhodes served as AutoZone’s CEO for nearly 19 years.
      “A very special congratulations to Phil on becoming AutoZone’s president and CEO,” Rhodes said in a news release. “For only the fifth time in our company’s rich history, we have a new CEO. I am tremendously excited about AutoZone’s future and continued growth under Phil’s leadership.”
      AutoZone first announced the leadership changes on June 26.
      “I am extremely honored and enthusiastic about the opportunity to serve as president and CEO of AutoZone, a company that I love dearly and have been a part of for over three decades,” Daniele said. “Our ability to put the customer first is and will forever be the key to our accelerated growth and continued success. Both Bill and I deeply believe that AutoZone’s best days lie ahead.”
      The post
    • By Counterman
      MEMA, The Vehicle Suppliers Association (MEMA), proudly recently announced its new chairman, board members and executive committee for 2024, marking a significant milestone in the organization’s 120-year journey toward future advancements.

The newly elected chairman is Kurk Wilks, president and CEO of MANN+ HUMMEL. Wilks will lead MEMA as chairman of the board of directors, bringing his extensive experience and visionary leadership to the forefront.

Members of the 2024 executive committee are:
      First vice chairman – Jon Husby, president and CEO, ADAC Second vice chairman – Eric Steinbecher, president automotive aftermarket – Americas, Schaeffler Treasurer –Dominic Grote, president and CEO, Grote Industries Immediate past chair/officer – Marc Blackman, CEO, Gold Eagle President – Bill Long, CEO, MEMA, The Vehicle Suppliers Association “MEMA extends its deepest gratitude to Marc Blackman for his exemplary leadership and guidance during a transformative period,” the association said. “His contributions have been invaluable in shaping MEMA’s path forward.”

Newly elected board members are:
      Jason Gerding, executive vice president, Transportation Products Group, Marmon John Hanighen, president and CEO, Cloyes “Their fresh perspectives will enrich the board’s strategic vision,” MEMA said in a news release.

The full list of the 2024 MEMA board of directors is:
      Chairman – Kurk Wilks, president and CEO, Mann + Hummel First vice chairman – Jon Husby, president and CEO, ADAC Second vice chairman – Eric Steinbecher, Schaeffler Treasurer – Dominic Grote, president and CEO, Grote Industries  Immediate past chair/officer – Marc Blackman, CEO, Gold Eagle President – Bill Long, president and CEO, MEMA, The Vehicle Suppliers Association Mike Alcala, CEO, GNS N.A.  Jason Gerding, executive vice president, Transportation Products Group, Marmon John Hanighen, president and CEO, Cloyes Justin Greenberg, president and CEO, DieselCore Matt Joy, CEO, Hendrickson Tim Musgrave, CEO, Pressure Systems  Chris Pruitt, executive vice president, East Penn Bruce Ronning, senior vice president Global Sales and Commercial Operations, DriV/Tenneco Sandy Stojkovski, CEO, Vitesco “The board of directors for 2024 reflects a diverse and dynamic group of industry leaders, each bringing unique expertise and vision to MEMA,” the association said. “Their collective experience is set to propel MEMA into a new era of innovation and advocacy for the vehicle supplier industry.”
      The post
    • A-premium Auto Parts:5% OFF with Code GM5.
    • By Counterman
      With a new year comes new leadership at ASE, and current President and CEO Tom Zilke is reaching out to the industry to thank its members for its support of the organization over the years.
      In an open letter below, Zilke emphasized the organization’s achievements over his 16-year tenure and laid out his vision for ASE in the future.
      In June, Zilke and Trish Serratore, senior vice president of communications,
      link hidden, please login to view at the end of this year. Dave Johnson, who brings more than 30 years of automotive-industry experience to ASE, will succeed Zilke come Jan. 1. Johnson also penned an open letter (see below) outlining his goals as he steps into the top spot at ASE. Johnson previously served as global director, service engineering operations at Ford Motor Co. where he led all vehicle repair support activities.
      Open Letter from Tom Zilke
      It has been an honor and privilege to have served as ASE president and CEO for the past 16 years. I joined ASE in 1991 and have enjoyed working on behalf of automotive service professionals and for the betterment of the transportation industry.
      ASE has an incredible staff of 50 people that have an amazing passion and level of commitment. Together, we have transformed ASE in many ways, and I am very proud of our achievements, including the conversion to computer-based testing which opened testing opportunities throughout the year as well as the introduction of the ASE Renewal App that allows automobile technicians to recertify remotely. We have embraced newer vehicle technologies and most recently, ASE introduced testing and certifications for Advanced Driver Assistance Systems (ADAS) and Electric Vehicle Safety.
      We have also aligned ASE, the ASE Education Foundation and ASE Training Managers Council (ATMC) to support the career cycle of technicians from initial education through lifelong learning. Through testing and certification, ASE encourages technician learning, which ultimately results in a better repair and driving experience for consumers. Technician improvement also makes technicians more productive and employers more profitable.
      Going forward, I would like to see ASE continue its work to redefine the technician image and address the recruitment/retention challenges. Technician image and recruitment/retention are interrelated and changing perceptions will take time. ASE is the logical industry-wide organization to help address these challenges, primarily through the ASE Education Foundation that is working diligently on these initiatives.
      I would also like to see ASE continue to add measurable value to industry organizations’ technician training programs and be nimble in adapting to a rapidly changing industry and its technologies. Finally, I would like to see ASE continue to provide an unsurpassed level of service to technicians and employers.
      I want to thank everyone throughout the industry for their support of ASE over the years. I am excited about the future with Dave Johnson leading ASE. We share a passion for the ASE mission, and I am very confident that he will take ASE to new heights.
      Open letter from Dave Johnson, president and CEO designate, ASE
      I am honored to follow in the footsteps of Tim Zilke and take on the mantle of leadership of this important industry organization. I look forward to working with industry stakeholders as well as the outstanding ASE staff to serve the industry’s service professionals and motoring public. I know we have an exciting future ahead of us and I look forward to sharing the amazing mission of ASE.
      I joined ASE with over 30 years of automotive industry experience, working previously as global director, service engineering operations at Ford Motor Company where I led all vehicle repair support activities. I am looking forward to using those experiences to take ASE to the next level of technician and consumer value.
      I am confident that my experience has prepared me to help contribute to the ASE cause. I have been fortunate throughout my career to work closely with technicians, service business owners, parts suppliers, and most importantly, the customers they all support. I believe that my background and formal technical and business education have prepared me to work with this entire industry ‘ecosystem’ that is part of the ASE team’s mission to champion and support.
      One of my first goals since joining ASE has been to learn all I can from Tim and the ASE team, while continuing to build upon the solid foundational elements that ASE is best known for. While I have thoughts and ideas about moving forward, I first need to learn from those on the ASE team who have been working in the trenches much longer than me. Just as importantly, I want to learn about what is on the minds of all various stakeholders to ensure that the ASE team is aligned with what the industry really needs.
      I wanted to take on this new role because I could see from my time serving on the ASE board that there was so much good being accomplished and so many possibilities for the future. I am excited to bring my skills and experience to the table in a more significant way to help take ASE to the next level.
      There are real challenges facing the transportation industry, from the need to attract and retain service professionals to complex vehicle designs and advanced technologies that demand more knowledge and ability than ever before. Having lived with these challenges firsthand and working within one company to address them, I view ASE as the place where the industry can come together to multiply our efforts, influence and accomplishments, and rise to meet these challenges. It is going to be an exciting and rewarding journey for all involved.
      The post