• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

How to Clean Fuel Injectors

link hidden, please login to view
A bad fuel injector can cause engine misfire and internal engine damage.

Fuel injectors, which help vehicles achieve higher fuel efficiency and better emission control, are said to be “non-wearing” items. In fact, they are so sturdy they can last the shelf-life of a car.

However, like any other part, fuel injectors are not exempt from damage. You can still have a bad fuel injector, and usually clogging (due to dirt, carbon build-up or watered-down gasoline) is the culprit. When you start experiencing engine misfires, lack of power, an engaged check engine light, and leaking fuel, you can bet the clogging has gone from bad to worse.

Some drivers rely on mixing additives and detergents with their gasoline to remedy the clogging. These substances can reduce gasoline vapor deposits, sure, but they can’t entirely eliminate the impurities. To avoid fuel injector problems, experts recommend cleaning the injectors using a dedicated fuel injector cleaner every 25,000 to 30,000 miles.

Moreover, it’s best practice to inspect your fuel injectors as early as possible. If you find them clogged, cleaning them may suffice. You can choose to have a professional mechanic do it for you (typical fuel injector cleaning cost is between $50 and $80), or you can do it yourself (disclaimer: doing it yourself is not highly encouraged).

However, if you’re dealing with a cracked or damaged fuel injector, replacement is necessary. If you need high-quality and budget-friendly replacement fuel injectors, you can check Auto Parts Warehouse’s fuel injector selection here:

How to Clean Fuel Injectors without Removal

DIY-ing the job is not advisable for beginners. That’s because it requires a deeper understanding of the engine. Aside from that, the right equipment and proper procedure are necessary to yield good results.

However, if you want basic knowledge on how to clean injectors using a fuel injector cleaning kit, here’s what you need to know:

Materials you need:

• Fuel injector cleaning kit (should be compatible with your engine)
  • Cleaning solvent (should be the kind recommended for your cleaning kit)

Step 1: Connect the cleaning kit to your engine’s fuel port. To do this, check your cleaning kit manual for the proper procedure (fuel injector cleaning kits vary in connection designs).

Step 2: Disable your fuel pump and make sure the fuel is returned to the gas tank. Do this by plugging the fuel return line, or you can opt to insert a U-tube. Take note that your CPU might show error codes once your pump is disabled. You may clear the codes later.

Step 3: Disconnect the pressure regulator and connect the injector cleaning kit to the fuel port. Make sure your engine doesn’t turn over by turning on the ignition.

Step 4: Remove the fuel cap from the gas tank to ensure there’s no build-up of pressure in the system.

Step 5: Attach the compressed air hose to the cleaning kit. Consult your service manual and check for the right fuel pressure for your vehicle. Open the valve of your cleaning kit until it matches your car’s required fuel pressure.

Step 6: Start your engine and let it run for about five to 15 minutes to let the cleaning solvent pass through the injectors. The engine should shut off once the cleaning kit has used up the solvent.

Step 7: Lastly, reverse the steps (disconnect the kit and activate the fuel pump and fuel generator). After everything is back to normal, run your engine again and check for unusual noises. If you hear clicking sounds in a rapid succession, it means your fuel injectors are working perfectly.

The post

appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By cey146
      I am looking for a good part number for a fuel line. 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 5.3L factory markings of GM 213M type H, on the hose. 
      I ruined the 90 degree hose connection, which fastens to the fuel pump. Need to replace the hose while changing out the fuel pump. 

Thanks for your help. 
    • By Counterman
      hatever happened to engine colors? Every manufacturer had their own specific hue. Orange, blue, red, gold…there were lots of options. Purists get serious about it too. If you’re going to pop the hood at a car show, the color better be right.
      link hidden, please login to view At the risk of sounding partial to the classics, I’m going to say I miss those days. The majority of the engine blocks were clearly visible, and air cleaners, brackets, braces and pulleys all had a nice finish, only to be topped aesthetically on performance models with chrome-plated air cleaners or valve covers.
      Under the hood, there was something nice to look at, adding incentive to clean and degrease the engine on a regular basis. If you were from my generation, when you got a new (used) car, one of the first things you did was clean the engine and engine compartment. Having a clean mill under the hood was just an extra way to take pride in your car.
      Open the hood on today’s cars and you get plastic, then more plastic. Finished in less-than-exciting flat black, with the occasional glimpse of an aluminum cylinder head, there’s just not as much to get excited about when it comes to cleaning your engine. But, is it important? You bet.
      link hidden, please login to view There are plenty of theories surrounding whether or not it can affect the performance, and even question if a clean engine will run cooler. The fact is neither is true. I always think my cars run better after waxing them, but I know that’s scientifically impossible, so I chock that up to the car’s “soul.” I’ve never experienced a situation where a dirty engine makes it run worse. Engines just don’t care.
      Some might argue that layers of grease and grime can prevent heat dissipation from the engine, and while you could probably prove that scientifically, in practice, it makes no difference. If there is reality to that, it would be in such minor fractions of a degree that it simply wouldn’t matter.
      Where it does matter is that leaks, both coolant and oil, are the primary contributors to a dirty engine. The fluids themselves build up and coat the engine, as well as other parts of the car depending on the severity of the leak, and this creates many problems. One, it makes it difficult to find the source of the leak. As a technician, there are times when an engine is so dirty, you have to clean it first before you can pinpoint a leak.
      The other consequence is these fluids getting onto other components. Oil wreaks havoc with rubber, and can soften coolant hoses, engine mounts, belts, weatherstrips and even electrical connector weather seals. Finally, the oil buildup traps dirt and before you know it you can have a thick layer of oily, greasy grime that will come off in huge chunks.
      A little dust never hurt anything, but it’s amazing how much “stuff” comes up off the road and settles in the engine compartment. Dirt, rocks, asphalt, leaves, you name it, it will find a way in. The problem with debris is that it can fall into the engine when replacing things like spark plugs or valve cover gaskets, or even when doing something as simple as the air filter or adding oil. There’s a lot of damage that can occur if this happens.
      The final benefit to cleaning your engine is it allows you to evict any rodents that may be residing in one of the many cozy spots under the hood, just waiting to chew their way into an expensive repair.
      So, when your customer asks about cleaning an engine, not only can you give them good reasons, but you can offer them solutions and know-how to ease their concerns about the often-told story of cleaning an engine and experiencing a no-start situation afterward. With a few simple precautions, they won’t have any trouble.
      My starting point begins with access. On most vehicles today, there’s almost always a plastic cover on the top of the engine, which I might mention hides a lot underneath, and the engine is often dirtier than you realize. I remove all of these covers, and if the vehicle has a lower engine cover, I remove these as well, since they’ll just hold everything you clean off the engine.
      link hidden, please login to view The first step in the cleaning process belongs to compressed air and a blow gun. Large amounts of debris such as leaves or the occasional mouse nest can be sucked out with a shop vac, or just grabbed out by hand and thrown away. But a blow gun will take care of all of it. I’m always sure to wear safety glasses and a dust mask, then I work my way from top to bottom of the engine and compartment, blowing out all dust and debris, focusing on areas that typically trap a lot, such as around the spark plugs and intake manifold.
      As I work my way down, I blow debris off the frame, suspension and body parts that are accessible, and also off the top of the transmission, since it will trap a lot. Finally, I blow out the radiator and condenser fins (which by the way CAN affect engine temperature and A/C performance). You’d be surprised how much dirt comes out of these.
      With the bulk of the debris removed, it’s time for degreaser. The first step here is to cover any electrical components that will be affected by water, such as the alternator and distributor, if equipped, as well as the intake duct for the air cleaner, or any exposed air filter. I use plastic disposable grocery store bags for this. Keep in mind two things here. One, most things are sealed up, and it’s not uncommon to have water splash up when you drive in the rain. Cars are built to handle this. But two, this is just incidental water splashing and nothing is meant to have pressurized water sprayed at it, sealed or not, so as long as you cover electrical components, and don’t spray directly at any of them, you won’t have a problem. Just be careful with high-pressure power washers.
      Now it gets simple. I put cardboard under the car to collect the drippings that are about to occur, then spray the engine, as well as surrounding components with degreaser, and let it soak. It’s always a good idea to read the instructions for the degreaser to beware of any damage it could cause to anything such as the vehicle paint. After the degreaser has had time to soak, I use a cleaning brush to scrub the excessively dirty areas, and, in some cases, a scraper may be required when there’s a lot of buildup.
      I tend to use a second application of degreaser, and let it soak, then scrub some more before rinsing it off. Then, I remove the cardboard and put a large plastic tub underneath to catch the big clumps of grease that may wash off. When rinsing things, I use light spray around electrical components, and limit the full force of the hose nozzle to the block, heads and intake, or anywhere there’s serious grease removal.
      link hidden, please login to view A final trick I use is to hook up the hose to hot water, when possible. If you have a utility sink, you can get adapters that allow you to do this. Hot water makes a huge difference in cutting through the grease, but you’ll use a lot of it, so if you’re at home, I never start the job just before someone needs a shower, or you might end up in a different type of hot water.
      With everything cleaned up, remove all the protective plastic coverings, blow off any excess water that’s puddled up anywhere, reinstall any covers you removed, and you’ve just done your car a favor.
      Why wait for the occasional customer who asks about cleaning their engine? Spring cleaning is good under the hood, too. Latex gloves, dust masks, safety glasses, engine degreaser, cleaning brushes, a blow gun, hose nozzle, plastic tub, absorbent mats and shop rags are all great supplies you likely have in stock. Finish it off with some microfiber towels and a spray detailer to wipe any surround paint surfaces, just in case any solvents splash out.
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Mighty Auto Parts
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view. The 2013 Ford F150 equipped with a 3.5L EcoBoost engine was running perfectly. With the exception of a drop in fuel economy, there was no indication of a problem until the Check Engine light in the dash illuminated. A system scan revealed P2098 code stored in memory, which represents Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too […]
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.
    • By Dorman Products
      Clean up your chisels and punches (for your own safety!)
    • By NAPA
      You might know how to check the fuel level, but do you know how to check fuel pressure? There’s a handy gauge on the dashboard that tells you how much fuel is in the gas tank, but if that fuel isn’t reaching the engine under enough pressure, a mechanical failure could be brewing. Let’s take a look at the process necessary to check fuel pressure.
      What Does Low Fuel Pressure Mean? link hidden, please login to view
      If fuel can’t reach the injector with enough force to atomize the fuel, then the engine won’t run right. More often than not low fuel pressure means a
      link hidden, please login to view. A bad fuel pump might limp along for a little while, but eventually it won’t build enough pressure to feed the engine.  How To Check Fuel Pressure Using A Fuel Pressure Gauge
      To check fuel pressure, you will need a
      link hidden, please login to view (also called a fuel system pressure tester). Make sure you are working in a well-ventilated area, as some fuel fumes may escape during the procedure. Turn off the engine. Open the hood. Locate the fuel rail. You may need to remove the engine cover for access. Locate the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. This is where the fuel pressure will be tested. Remove the cap from the fuel rail Schrader valve. Attach the fuel pressure tester, making sure the connection is tight. If the fuel pressure tester has a pressure relief hose, route it to a proper container to capture the released fuel. A link hidden, please login to view makes a perfect catch container, and the fuel can then be used later. Turn the ignition switch to “on,” but do not start the engine. The fuel pump will pressurize the fuel system, and you will be able to read the fuel pressure gauge. To test the fuel pressure with the engine running, leave the fuel pressure gauge attached, but place it where it will not contact any of the rotating engine accessories (fan, fan belt, pulleys, etc), and ensure the gauge will not fall due to engine vibration. You may wish to have an assistant hold the fuel pressure gauge. 
      Start the engine, and observe the fuel pressure gauge. Refer to a link hidden, please login to view for fuel pressure specifications. Once you have taken the fuel pressure reading, shut off the engine. With the pressure relief hose secured to a container, release the fuel pressure from the gauge. Properly dispose of the released fuel or reuse it. Disconnect the fuel pressure gauge from the Schrader valve on the fuel rail. Wipe up any fuel that has spilled, and dry the spill area thoroughly.  Place the cap back on the Schrader valve. Replace the engine cover, if it was removed. Close the hood. How To Check Fuel Pressure Using A Diagnostic Tool
      Wondering how to check fuel pressure without gauge access? Checking fuel pressure using an OBD diagnostic tool can perform this vehicle test. The exact procedure will vary based on the manufacturer. Refer to the user manual for instructions on how to view live data using the OBD tool. 
      In the case of the
      link hidden, please login to view, start at the Diagnostic Menu and select the “View Data” option. The tool will scan for available parameter identifications (PID) that can be read. Once the tool has read all the PIDs, it will prompt the user to “Select Data to View.” Choose “Entire Data List” for a readout of all the discovered PIDs. In that list should be a line called “FUEL PRES” or a similar term. That diagnostic reading is the current fuel pressure. For those who are more tech savvy, there are smartphone apps that can connect directly to a third-party
      link hidden, please login to view. These apps display the real-time information flowing through the onboard diagnostic system. Information like engine temperature, transmission fluid temperature, fuel pressure and oil pressure are commonly available, but will depend on the app. Monitoring Fuel Pressure
      If you are the kind of driver who prefers to keep a constant eye on what’s going on under the hood, consider installing a
      link hidden, please login to view. There are a wide variety of gauge styles to match your interior, while also delivering needed information. You can keep an eye on fuel pressure, oil pressure, oil temperature and more with an link hidden, please login to view.  If you have a performance vehicle or work vehicle, keeping an eye on engine vitals can help stop a problem before it starts. You can use a mechanical gauge attached directly to the fuel system under the hood, or a digital gauge in the cabin that uses a sending unit.
      Frequently Asked Questions:
      What Are The Symptoms Of Low Fuel Pressure?
      Common low fuel pressure symptoms:
      Vehicle will not start or keeps stalling Long engine cranking time Hesitation when accelerating Engine is low on power Check engine light is one (engine lean, misfire OBD-II codes stored) What Are Symptoms Of A Bad Fuel Pressure Regulator?
      If the fuel pressure readings are erratic or not within the specification, those may be symptoms of a bad
      link hidden, please login to view.  What Are Symptoms Of A Bad Fuel Pressure Sensor?
      If the fuel pressure sensor has gone bad, you may have an illuminated check engine light, trouble getting the engine to start due to low fuel pressure, or reduced engine power. 
      If your engine isn’t running right or the check engine light is on, then a fuel pressure check can be a good starting point for diagnosis. As you can see, the process is pretty straightforward with the right diagnostic tool. Your
      link hidden, please login to view and NAPAonline carry a wide variety of link hidden, please login to view to fit your needs.  Don’t feel like leaving the house or don’t have the time? Order on NAPAonline to get
      link hidden, please login to view on 160,000+ products. However you choose to shop, make sure to take advantage of link hidden, please login to view to receive 1 Point for every dollar you spend. When you earn 100 Points, you automatically get $5 off your next purchase!  Don’t feel like testing fuel pressure yourself or just don’t have time? You can also swing by your local
      link hidden, please login to view for a fuel pressure check. Their ASE Certified technicians have the right tools and training to diagnose any fuel related issues that your car, truck or SUV experience.  Photo courtesy of
      link hidden, please login to view. The post