• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

NHTSA Better Have ‘Good Answers’ for RTR Rebuff

While the future of the expanded Right to Repair law in Massachusetts is uncertain, one thing is clear: People are talking about it.

The Berkshire Eagle on June 24

link hidden, please login to view
demanding answers from NHTSA and U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg after NHTSA told 22 OEMs that complying with the new Massachusetts law – which Massachusetts voters overwhelmingly approved in November 2020 – would put them at odds with federal vehicle-safety regulations.

In a June 13 letter to the automakers, Kerry Kolodziej, NHTSA’s assistant chief counsel for litigation and enforcement, asserts that open remote access to vehicle telematics could make it easier for cybercriminals – here or abroad – to take control of consumers’ cars, trucks and SUVs and cause mayhem. Citing those cybersecurity risks, Kolodziej maintains that the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act preempts the Massachusetts Right to Repair law.

“Vehicle manufacturers appear to recognize that vehicles with the open remote access telematics required by the Data Access Law would contain a safety defect,” Kolodziej asserts in the June 13 letter. “Federal law does not allow a manufacturer to sell vehicles that it knows contain a safety defect.”

The Berkshire Eagle, which endorsed the data-access ballot initiative in 2020, is skeptical of NHTSA’s cybersecurity concerns.

“The letter neither provides any proof that such a cyberattack on a vehicle has ever occurred nor explains why the NHTSA apparently has no actionable safety concerns regarding telematics being distributed to countless dealership garages across the country,”

The newspaper also questions NHTSA’s rationale and due diligence supporting its assertions in the letter to the OEMS.

“Was there any consideration for other approaches – such as technical guidance to carmakers regarding secure transmission of telematics – instead of simply stonewalling a state law that endured considerable legal review as part of the ballot initiative process?”

Regarding

to assuage NHTSA’s cybersecurity concerns, the newspaper laments that tweaking the Right to Repair law would require “more clarity on why telematics being sent to an independent mechanic constitutes a ‘safety defect’ while sending them to a dealer-affiliated garage doesn’t.”

The newspaper concludes: “We hope Transportation Secretary Buttigieg and the NHTSA have some good answers, because the federal government should have a better reason than credulous alignment with big business to undermine Massachusetts’ voters and laws.”

The post

appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Mia
      Maybe you are looking for a stable supplier with high quality and reasonable price that can suitable for your market,  look no further, Ketulla is your best choice, Whether you are a new beginner or a small business wholesaler, Ketulla sales team always be here to help you to improve you business. We are a team, let us work together to deal with all matters!

Different Oem Front & Rear Car Brake Pads Formulas Are Built For You
      Ketulla offers custom services with 4 different formulas to meet your needs, holding 2351 different pad models that meet 98% of  link hidden, please login to view in the world

ECER 90 qualified products Engineered for toughness and high-impact resistance Corrosion- and chemical-resistant backing plate Surface-Smoothly treatment International stardard accessories  
      Why Choose Us As Your Wholesale brake pads Supplier
      Professional brake pads supplier: we are a brake pads factory with running for 24 years.
      Quality Management System: We have 6 quality inspectors who check each batch of products against international inspection standards. Click here to learn the Ketulla quality control process.
      Automatic Production Lines: Ketulla brake pads factory is equipped with automated production lines to automate various processes to ensure high-quality and low-cost production.
      Free brake pads Samples: Provide free brake pads samples for road testing and machine testing to confirm that we meet your requirements.
      Click here to get a sample now!
    • By Swizz Auto
      Swizz Auto is a trusted auto parts provider in the US. We provide you with quality-tested inventories to get you the right fitment for the car’s make and model. Also, when you reach our portal, you can find link hidden, please login to view near me using the online locator tool. If you see challenges in finding the relevant information, you only need to provide us with the make and model no. Discuss them with our reps if you are concerned about warranty and shipping.
    • By Dorman Products
      Silverado or Sierra leaking coolant? Fix that connection for good
    • By OReilly Auto Parts
      We've Got Answers | O'Reilly Auto Parts
    • By Counterman
      In business, as in life, mistakes WILL happen. How you respond will make the difference in whether your customer will remain loyal and continue to do business with your store. Customer relations are easy as long as things go well – when they don’t, you and your team have the opportunity to shine or look like the proverbial pile of…well, you know. 
      Let me underscore this with a recent experience I had at a global coffee chain. I love heading out to the coffee house with my wife, Marlene, to grab a cold brew or blended beverage. While we are hanging out there, we’ll plan trips, discuss an upcoming event – this has been our “date night” routine for many years. 
      You see, this chain had pioneered the “third place” experience, where customers and non-customers alike are welcomed to their stores. People could experience some great tunes, meet with friends or business associates, work on homework, read a book, and sip on a tasty beverage. In the post-Covid world though, I worry that the customer experience has suffered. 
      We recently endured a visit to our nearby location that gave me pause. From that experience I began to consider our clients’ and your store’s interactions with your customers and the fragile nature of the relationship. I began to recognize the creep of “Customer Experience Decline” (let’s call it CED) that can occur if you take your eyes off the ball, like this coffee chain has.
      Back to the coffee house: we ordered two blended beverages and a water, three drinks total. Marlene’s drink and the water came up first, then several minutes went by. After waiting patiently, I decided to head back to the counter, where the staff found creative ways to ignore my presence with world-class ease. Drinks zipped through the blender and were handed off to the drive-through attendant.
      I wondered when I would see mine. Perhaps the drink label they affixed to the cup didn’t print, so I bided my time and waited. Finally, my drink was delivered to the counter, where its maker hollered my name. Keep in mind, I was standing right in front of her.
      Before she scampered away, I asked, “Could you help me to understand the reason my drink took five minutes longer than my wife’s?” The look on her face was priceless, as though I had asked a question worthy of a Mensa exam! Pausing a moment, she responded, “We are shorthanded,” an answer you hear far too often today. Still, I thought, why did I see eight other drinks processed before mine was delivered? 
      I pursued the first question again, with the same answer, this time delivered without a smile. Again, trying to understand, I asked the question a different way. Her next response absolutely floored me: she glared at me as though I’d fallen off a turnip truck, raised her hands to the side of her head, palms up and then just shrugged. Essentially, she communicated nonverbally, “I really don’t care! Here’s your drink, now go away!!”
      For a coffee chain that had built its reputation of being a welcoming location, outstanding interactions with their guests and building a sense of community had fallen to a simple act of indifference to a loyal customer’s request. 
      Handling Customer Challenges
      How are challenges handled at your store? Does your staff have the same passion to care for your clients that you do? Have you kept an eye on things, one of the many things a parts professional is responsible for on a daily basis? 
      Are you aware that, according to a study commissioned by the White House Office of Consumer Affairs, 75% of customers leave a business due to apathy, also known as indifference? 
      The good news of that staggering figure is that if we can control our behavior and our team, we can eliminate 75% of the reason a customer would stop buying from us! All we need to do is to provide exceptional customer service and experience!
      Let’s look at five simple ways you, your counter pros and anyone who interacts with a customer can meet and exceed your customers’ expectations.
      Listen
      You’d be surprised how often we miss the mark. The counter is busy, the phone is ringing, parts drivers need your signature, the computer is slow and the customer is standing in front of you. With all the distractions, how do you make sure things don’t fall through the cracks with the customer? Stay engaged, keep your eyes on them, focus and ask questions. Write or type the information down and, most importantly, review the requests with them before the leave the store.
      Don’t rush! I am sure you and they alike would rather wait an extra minute or two so you can make sure all their requests are noted and handled, rather than them showing up to pick the car up and learning that your team missed the oil change or state inspection they needed! 
      Be Present
      Being present is pretty simple – tune into the customer, whether you’re in-person or on the phone. It’s really off-putting when a person (often the advisor) disengages from a conversation to answer a question coming from the background, or worse, laughs at something that might be out earshot of your customer. 
      Ask Questions
      This one is even easier. By listening (highlighted in the first bullet point), your team will be armed with the information needed to ask the right follow-up questions. Your customer, your techs and you, as the owner, are all relying on the advisor who is at the tip of the spear to get it right. When we listen, ask the right questions and write the answers down, everyone in the process can participate in ensuring the job is done completely and accurately every time.
      Don’t Make Excuses!
      Mistakes will happen. If it really is your fault, don’t try to hide behind an excuse or try to give a complicated reason for the issue. Just say, “We made a mistake and we’ll make it right.” Remember to choose your words wisely though, so as not to give away the farm. In most cases, the customer understands that everyone is human, and won’t put the screws to you.
      Say I’m Sorry
      Remember my coffee shop story? I was literally blown off and figuratively given the middle finger. The likelihood that I’ll grace that store’s doors again is slim at best. 
      To be honest, a simple apology for the wait would have sufficed and disarmed my frustration, along with letting me know how valuable my business is. A well placed “I’m sorry” goes a long way.
      Conclusion
      You have many roles as a counter professional, but it all starts with setting the tone as a leader, training your team on what you expect. Occasionally inspecting their work and consistent review of your store’s culture will go a long way toward ensuring your customers KNOW that YOU care about them, their cars and the experience they receive each time they head to your shop.
      Don’t let something as controllable as indifference alienate loyal clientele.
      The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.