• Welcome to Auto Parts Forum

Whether you are a veteran automotive parts guru or just someone looking for some quick auto parts advice, register today and start a new topic in our forum. Registration is free and you can even sign up with social network platforms such as Facebook, X, and LinkedIn. 

Capps Clinches Third NHRA Funny Car Championship, First for Ron Capps Motorsports

In a dramatic final round to close out the 2022 season, defending NHRA Funny Car world champion Ron Capps clinched his third series title, and the first for Ron Capps Motorsports, on Sunday at the NHRA Finals at Auto Club Raceway at Pomona. Capps drove the NAPA AUTO PARTS Toyota GR Supra to a runner-up finish to win his second consecutive championship crown, becoming the first Funny Car driver to win back-to-back championships in 20 years.

Auto Club NHRA Finals

Starting the weekend ranked second in the point standings behind Robert Hight, Capps overcame a 61-point deficit to lock up the 2022 NHRA Camping World Series Funny Car title. The Southern California native qualified No. 1 with a 3.837-second blast at 337.33 mph, collecting six bonus points along the way in qualifying. Those bonus points moved Capps to just under two rounds behind Hight going into eliminations. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

Capps defeated Jeff Arend and Tim Wilkerson in the first two rounds of eliminations. When Hight lost to Bob Tasca III in the second round, the door was open for Capps to take the title. Capps then won his semifinal match with Tasca, passing Hight for the points lead. Capps secured the championship when he made a clean pass in the final, losing with a 3.85-second pass at 333.16 mph to Cruz Pedregon’s 3.839-second effort. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

Capps started the 2022 season as a team owner, forming Ron Capps Motorsports after winning the 2021 championship with longtime team owner Don Schumacher and Don Schumacher Racing. Even with the added challenges that come with the owner/operator role, Capps was able to come out on top yet again. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

“Anything you put your mind to you can do with great people around you,” said Capps, who’s just the seventh Funny Car driver to win as many as three titles. “I can’t even begin to say what it feels like right now. This is for the NAPA AutoCare people, all the NAPA AutoCare owners – 6,000 strong – and for everybody at home that puts on a Ron Capps and NAPA jersey watching on the couch on Fox Sports; Gearwrench; and of course, Toyota coming on board. But my family more than anything, we have taken on a role this year that’s been unbelievable. I’m sure you’ve seen me age quite a bit in the last year or so.”

Auto Club NHRA Finals

Capps and the NAPA team wasted no time putting together an impressive championship defense campaign as they made a run for the 2022 title. Continuing under the tuning guidance of crew chiefs Dean ‘Guido’ Antonelli and John Medlen, the newly formed Ron Capps Motorsports launched with a statement-making debut when they raced to a runner-up finish from the pole position at the 2022 season-opening NHRA Winternationals in February. While they came up just short of capturing the victory, Capps and his NAPA team didn’t have to wait long before finding the winner’s circle.  

Auto Club NHRA Finals

At the fourth race of the season, the NHRA Four-Wide Nationals in Las Vegas, Capps went wire-to-wire, driving his machine to victory from the top of the Funny Car ladder to score his 69th professional triumph and win No. 1 for Ron Capps Motorsports. Later that month, Capps was thrilled to announce a partnership with Toyota, becoming the manufacturer’s third Funny Car driver. Capps took ownership of the brand-new Toyota GR Supra Funny Car body at the Charlotte race, and had the distinct honor of becoming Toyota’s first driver to power the new body style to victory when he picked up his second win of the season in Bristol, Tenn. before piloting the Supra to its first No. 1 qualifier spot in Norwalk, Ohio a few weeks later. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

Among Capps’ other season highlights were his big win at the Indianapolis race where he ran the table, notching the No. 1 qualifier honors and winning the Pep Boys All-Star Call Out specialty race before powering his NAPA Supra to victory to win his first U.S. Nationals trophy in more than 25 attempts. Capps then went on to score a pair of Countdown victories in Charlotte and Ennis, Texas, which helped to place him solidly into the championship hunt heading into the final two races of the season, and set up an epic three-way battle between Capps, Hight, and fellow championship hopeful Matt Hagan. For their efforts, Capps and the NAPA team never dropped below third on the Funny Car leaderboard throughout the entirety of the season.

Auto Club NHRA Finals

While Capps assumed the points lead after his semifinal victory at the Finals, he wasn’t immediately declared the champion. The points lead over Hight was so slim that a points deduction in the final round, caused by crossing the centerline or a similar infraction, would jeopardize the championship. Still, Capps gave it his all in the final round, making his quickest pass of eliminations in the runner-up effort. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

“I’m sure there were some upset people on the starting line – everybody thought I was going to shut off,” Capps said. “And I had planned on it if I didn’t see Cruz. I hugged the wall all the way down. I hope everybody appreciates that I ran it through the finish line because that was a hard decision to make. It was for the fans. I did the longest burnout I’ve done in a long time – for the fans. I can say honestly we didn’t go out there and shut it off.”

Auto Club NHRA Finals

While the NAPA team’s season-long battle for the crown culminated in the ultimate prize on Sunday, the day had a slight bittersweet feel to it, as it marked the end of co-crew chief John Medlen’s time on the NHRA tour as a full-time crew chief. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

“To send Medlen off and to send one of these (Wallys) to his cabin in Georgia, it’s going to be phenomenal,” Capps said. “He means so much to us.”

Capps and team will continue under the leadership of Antonelli, who Capps knew for many years before the two started working together at the start of the 2021 season. 

Auto Club NHRA Finals

“We both grew up crew guys – I met him as a crew guy at John Force’s,” Capps said. “We feel like two kids playing marbles in the field. It’s phenomenal that we can go have fun and do this.”

Following their Sunday afternoon championship celebration, Capps and the NAPA team will be honored on Monday evening at the NHRA Awards Ceremony in Temecula, Calif.

Start / Finish: Qualified No. 1 / Defeated by Cruz Pedregon in the finals
Points Earned: 151
2022 NHRA Camping World Series Points Standing / Total: No. 1 / 2,682 pts.

NAPA Racing:

link hidden, please login to view
Ron Capps: 

Ron Capps Motorsports: 

The post

appeared first on

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Topics

• By Dorman Products
      Why don’t you keep gloves in your car’s glove box?
    • By CarPartAU
      Are you looking for some stores to buy used or new car parts? If so, then Car Part is the place for you. Rather than sharing a limited list of stores, we at Car Part have come with the list of the best link hidden, please login to view. These sites will connect you with a large number of car part sellers across Australia. Without wasting much time, fill out the form and click send a request button. To know more, visit us today.

• By markbenn
      In the hustle and bustle of our daily lives, it’s easy to overlook the care that our vehicles need to perform at their best. However, beneath the hood lies a complex machinery that requires regular attention and maintenance. Welcome to a journey where we unveil the myriad benefits that come with making regular visits to your trusted car workshop. From performance enhancements to ensuring safety on the road, the advantages of routine professional care are both extensive and impactful.
      1. Performance Optimization: The Tuning Touch

One of the most noticeable benefits of regular car workshop visits is the optimized performance of your vehicle. Expert mechanics have the know-how to fine-tune your engine, ensuring it operates at its peak efficiency. From adjusting the fuel injection system to optimizing the ignition timing, these tweaks contribute to a smoother and more powerful driving experience. Your car becomes a well-oiled machine, responding to your commands with precision and grace.
      2. Preventive Maintenance: Nipping Issues in the Bud

Prevention is often better than cure, and this holds true in the world of automotive care. Regular workshop visits involve thorough inspections and diagnostics, allowing mechanics to identify potential issues before they escalate into major problems. From checking fluid levels to inspecting the braking system, these preventive measures can save you from costly repairs down the road. It’s a proactive approach to car care that keeps you ahead of the curve.
      3. Fuel Efficiency Unleashed: The Economic Advantage

In a world where fuel prices can fluctuate, every drop counts. Regular car servicing plays a crucial role in maintaining optimal fuel efficiency. Mechanics ensure that your engine is running at its most efficient, preventing fuel wastage. Simple adjustments and replacements, such as changing air filters and spark plugs, can have a significant impact on your car’s mileage. The result? More miles per gallon and less strain on your wallet at the pump.
      4. Safety First: Ensuring Roadworthiness

Safety should always be a top priority on the road, and regular car workshop visits contribute significantly to this aspect. Mechanics conduct comprehensive safety checks, examining crucial components like brakes, lights, and tires. Identifying and addressing potential safety hazards ensures that you and your passengers are protected while driving. It’s not just about keeping your car in good shape; it’s about safeguarding lives on the road.
      5. Resale Value Resilience: Investing in the Future

Beyond immediate benefits, regular workshop visits contribute to the long-term value of your vehicle. A well-maintained car with a comprehensive service history is more attractive to potential buyers. When the time comes to upgrade or sell, having a record of regular professional care can significantly boost your car’s resale value. It’s an investment in the future that pays off when you decide to part ways with your trusted vehicle.
      6. Technology Triumphs: Staying Current in the Automotive World

The automotive industry is constantly evolving, with new technologies emerging to enhance the driving experience. Regular workshop visits keep your car abreast of these innovations. Whether it’s updating software systems, integrating new safety features, or addressing recalls, staying connected to your workshop ensures that your vehicle remains technologically competitive. Embracing these advancements not only improves your driving experience but also enhances the overall safety and efficiency of your car.
      7. Peace of Mind Driving: The Emotional Benefits

Last but certainly not least, there’s a unique peace of mind that comes with knowing your vehicle is in expert hands. Regular car workshop visits mean that your car is receiving the care it deserves. You can drive with confidence, knowing that potential issues are being addressed, and your vehicle is well-prepared for the challenges of the road. It’s an emotional benefit that extends beyond the mechanical aspects, fostering a worry-free and enjoyable driving experience.
      How Service My Car Assists You?

Have you reached a point where you’re questioning, “Where can I find the top car workshop for my Car?” Look no further. At Service My Car, we provide premium car servicing, repair, and link hidden, please login to view services, always within your reach. With specialized service offerings for your car and comprehensive service packages, we ensure the collection and drop-off of your vehicle following its maintenance.
      In conclusion, the benefits of regular car workshop visits extend far beyond the basic idea of maintenance. It’s about unlocking the full potential of your vehicle, ensuring safety, optimizing performance, and making a wise investment in its longevity. So, the next time you hear the call for routine maintenance, embrace it as an opportunity to unveil the hidden advantages that come with caring for your car. After all, it’s not just a vehicle; it’s a companion on the journey of life.
    • By TT-ABC
      TT-ABC produces various brands of car headlights and taillights. For example, Toyota (Camry, 4Runner, Land Cruiser, FJ Cruiser, Prado, Highlander, Avalon, CHR), Honda (Accord, Civic, Jazz, CR-V), BMW, Mercedes-Benz, Lexus, Ford, Tesla, Land Rover, Dodge, Chevrolet, Mitsubishi, Cadillac, Nissan, Hyundai, etc. We support bulk purchases and custom development. We launch new products every month. You can follow our social media accounts and our official website (search "TT-ABC" on Google). We have sales promotions on various platforms. You can search TT-ABC on various platforms to find us. Our company has always been known for its service. Our headlights and taillights have a one-year warranty and 24-hour quick response.
      This is our official store:

• By NAPA
      Chase Elliott and the No. 9 link hidden, please login to view team qualified ninth for Sunday’s NASCAR Cup Series race at Iowa Speedway. The 28-year-old driver finished stage one in ninth and stage two in third as his No. 9 NAPA Auto Parts Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 showed speed on the long run. In the final stage, Elliott continued to battle inside the top 10 and advanced to third before the checkered flag waved. With the third-place result, the Dawsonville, Georgia, native took over the driver points standings lead by eight markers over Hendrick Motorsports teammate Kyle Larson. It was Elliott’s second consecutive top-five effort, seventh of the season and 100th of his young Cup career. Chase Elliott and the No. 9 NAPA Auto Parts team earned a ninth-place starting position for Sunday’s inaugural NASCAR Cup Series race at Iowa Speedway. The 28-year-old driver initially lost some ground to the leaders upon the drop of the green flag and was scored in 11th at the time of the first caution of the race on lap five. Under the yellow, Elliott reported that his No. 9 NAPA Auto Parts Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 was loose. Staying out, he lined up 11th for the restart on lap 10 and made his way back up to ninth by lap 41. As a long run ensued Elliott continued to gain ground, advancing to seventh before an incident brought out the caution. He relayed that he “overbuilt the right rear.” Once pit road opened, crew chief Alan Gustafson called Elliott in for four fresh tires and fuel. A fast stop gained the driver of the No. 9 a position on pit road, however two cars did not pit which put him eighth for the lap-59 restart. When the green-and-white checkered flag waved to end stage two, Elliott was scored in the ninth position.
      During the stage break the team opted not to visit pit road, placing Elliott as the fifth driver to choose his lane to start the second stage. The Dawsonville, Georgia, native took the green flag from the inside of row two on lap 78. He continued to battle inside the top five until another caution slowed the race at lap 81. Staying out once again, Elliott lined up in the second row for the lap-87 restart. Getting loose, he dropped to seventh but found his way back inside the top five prior to lap 100. Showing speed on the long run, Elliott advanced to third on lap 130 and took over the second position less than 20 laps later. He set his sights on the leader and began reeling in the No. 12 of Ryan Blaney as green flag stops got under way. Elliott paced the field for one lap after Blaney made his way to pit road before he followed suit on lap 173. After pitting for four tires and fuel, Elliott returned to the track in 18th and was up to seventh as the pit cycle continued. When the caution came out on lap 182, the teams that still needed to pit made their stops. This put Elliott third in the running order. Once the race was back under way, he held his own inside the top five, finishing the stage in the third position.
      Under the stage-ending caution, Elliott pitted for four tires and fuel. He lined up sixth to start the final stage on lap 219. Just one lap later, an incident brought out the caution. Elliott chose the outside of row four for the lap-228 restart. From there, the 2020 Cup Series champion maneuvered his way to fourth before the yellow flag was displayed on lap 260. Providing feedback to his crew that the NAPA Chevy was a little tight, the team made an air-pressure adjustment during its four-tire pit stop. Elliott was fifth to choose his lane, opting for the outside of row four for the restart on lap 267. He progressed to fifth by lap 272 and continued to climb, advancing to third before the checkered flag waved.
      The result was Elliott’s second consecutive top-five effort, seventh of the season and 100th of his young Cup career. With the third-place result, the Dawsonville, Georgia, native took over the driver points standings lead by eight markers over Hendrick Motorsports teammate Kyle Larson.
      “Our balance was just right, and I thought all day we had really good long run pace,” Elliott said. “I just really struggled to get going on restarts and just was really loose and just felt like I couldn’t attack like I needed to and just lost a lot of ground. Could make good pace there at the end of a run with our NAPA Chevy, just needed to be a little closer I think to keep the pressure on and keep things rolling. Anyway, I was proud of the effort and felt like we had a really good car and were right there in the fight.”
      Start / Finish: 9 / 3
      Points Standing / Total: 1st / 591 pts. (+8)
      Next Race: Sunday, June 23, New Hampshire Motor Speedway
      How to Watch or Listen: 2:30 p.m. ET on USA, PRN or SiriusXM
      NAPA: 
      Chase Elliott:  link hidden, please login to view
      Hendrick Motorsports:  link hidden, please login to view
      No. 9 Team:  link hidden, please login to view The post
      link hidden, please login to view appeared first on link hidden, please login to view.